BUG #8154: pg_dump throws error beacause of field called "new".

From
willybas@gmail.com
Date:

Bug reference:      8154
Logged by:          Willy-Bas Loos
Email address:      willybas@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.9
Operating system:   ubuntu 12.04 server

pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.1.9 ends in an error when backing up my db, which
contains a field called "new".

Here's the raised message:
pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "new"
LINE 1: ...ag, beginmaand, einddag, eindmaand, fusieafstand, new, opmer...
                                                             ^
pg_dump: The command was: COPY lsb.zsoorten (id, euringchar, begindag,
beginmaand, einddag, eindmaand, fusieafstand, new, opmerkingen, euring) TO
stdout;

Re: BUG #8154: pg_dump throws error beacause of field called "new".

Date:
willybas@gmail.com writes:
> pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.1.9 ends in an error when backing up my db, which
> contains a field called "new".

Works for me:

regression=# create table new (f1 text, new text);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into new (f1, new) values ('1','2');
INSERT 0 1
regression=# copy new(f1,new) to stdout;
1       2

You sure the server is 9.1?

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #8154: pg_dump throws error beacause of field called "new".

From
Willy-Bas Loos
Date:
oh, silly me.
I was making a dump of a  PostgreSQL 8.4.17 backend with pg_dump
(PostgreSQL) 9.1.9

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> willybas@gmail.com writes:
> > pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.1.9 ends in an error when backing up my db, which
> > contains a field called "new".
>
> Works for me:
>
> regression=# create table new (f1 text, new text);
> CREATE TABLE
> regression=# insert into new (f1, new) values ('1','2');
> INSERT 0 1
> regression=# copy new(f1,new) to stdout;
> 1       2
>
> You sure the server is 9.1?

"Quality comes from focus and clarity of purpose" -- Mark Shuttleworth

Re: BUG #8154: pg_dump throws error beacause of field called "new".

From
Willy-Bas Loos
Date:
Hi,

The manual says:
It is recommended that you use the pg_dump and pg_dumpall programs from the
newer version of PostgreSQL, to take advantage of enhancements that might
have been made in these programs. Current releases of the dump programs can
read data from any server version back to 7.0.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/upgrading.html

That means that this actually should work.

Cheers,

WBL

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Willy-Bas Loos <willybas@gmail.com> wrote:

> oh, silly me.
> I was making a dump of a  PostgreSQL 8.4.17 backend with pg_dump
> (PostgreSQL) 9.1.9
>

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> willybas@gmail.com writes:
>> > pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.1.9 ends in an error when backing up my db, which
>> > contains a field called "new".
>>
>> Works for me:
>>
>> regression=# create table new (f1 text, new text);
>> CREATE TABLE
>> regression=# insert into new (f1, new) values ('1','2');
>> INSERT 0 1
>> regression=# copy new(f1,new) to stdout;
>> 1       2
>>
>> You sure the server is 9.1?
>>
>>                         regards, tom lane
>>

> --
> "Quality comes from focus and clarity of purpose" -- Mark Shuttleworth

--
"Quality comes from focus and clarity of purpose" -- Mark Shuttleworth

Re: BUG #8154: pg_dump throws error beacause of field called "new".

From
Jeff Janes
Date:
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Willy-Bas Loos <willybas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The manual says:
> It is recommended that you use the pg_dump and pg_dumpall programs from the
> newer version of PostgreSQL, to take advantage of enhancements that might
> have been made in these programs. Current releases of the dump programs can
> read data from any server version back to 7.0.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/upgrading.html
>
> That means that this actually should work.

It will work if you use the --quote-all-identifiers option.

Cheers,

Jeff