BUG #7628: Installation of PostgreSQL 9.2.1 on Windows 7 may take too long

From
gtsal@intracom.gr
Date:

Bug reference:      7628
Logged by:          George Tsaloukidis
Email address:      gtsal@intracom.gr
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.1
Operating system:   Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP 1

Dear All,

I downloaded setup file postgresql-9.2.1-1-windows-x64.exe
from your web site, and tried to install PostgreSQL on my machine.
Before finishing, one-click installer displayed the message
=E2=80=9Cinitializing the database cluster=E2=80=9D and stayed there for ho=
urs.

Using perfmon.exe tool I found that there was a lot of disk activity
and that program icacls.exe were accessing a lot of files contained
in some personal folders. Selected installation directory was
=E2=80=9CC:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2=E2=80=9D.

Search on the web revealed that installer uses icacls.exe to change access
permissions on installation directory. However in my case, files accessed
by icacls.exe had nothing to do with installation directory.

The next step was to check file
=E2=80=9CC:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\installer\server\initcluster.vbs=
=E2=80=9D.
That script calls icacls.exe for all folders consisting
installation directory except for =E2=80=9CC:\=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9CC:\Pro=
gram Files=E2=80=9D
(if they are part of installation directory). Unfortunately,
instead of accessing %SYSTEMDRIVE% environment variable, script tries
to get the value of %SYSTEMDRIVER%, which does not exist.
So system=E2=80=99s root directory is not really excluded and if it contains
a lot of file (as mine), the installation may need some hours.

To check it, I defined a new environment variable
(SYSTEMDRIVER=3D%SYSTEMDRIVE%)
and ran the setup program again. This time installation finished within a
couple of minutes.

Best Regards,
George.

Re: BUG #7628: Installation of PostgreSQL 9.2.1 on Windows 7 may take too long

From
Sandeep Thakkar
Date:
Thanks George. I have fixed the typo in initcluster.vbs on all affected
branches.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM, <gtsal@intracom.gr> wrote:

> Bug reference:      7628
> Logged by:          George Tsaloukidis
> Email address:      gtsal@intracom.gr
> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.1
> Operating system:   Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP 1
>
> Dear All,
>
> I downloaded setup file postgresql-9.2.1-1-windows-x64.exe
> from your web site, and tried to install PostgreSQL on my machine.
> Before finishing, one-click installer displayed the message
> =93initializing the database cluster=94 and stayed there for hours.
>
> Using perfmon.exe tool I found that there was a lot of disk activity
> and that program icacls.exe were accessing a lot of files contained
> in some personal folders. Selected installation directory was
> =93C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2=94.
>
> Search on the web revealed that installer uses icacls.exe to change acces=
> permissions on installation directory. However in my case, files accessed
> by icacls.exe had nothing to do with installation directory.
>
> The next step was to check file
> =93C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\installer\server\initcluster.vbs=94.
> That script calls icacls.exe for all folders consisting
> installation directory except for =93C:\=94 and =93C:\Program Files=94
> (if they are part of installation directory). Unfortunately,
> instead of accessing %SYSTEMDRIVE% environment variable, script tries
> to get the value of %SYSTEMDRIVER%, which does not exist.
> So system=92s root directory is not really excluded and if it contains
> a lot of file (as mine), the installation may need some hours.
>
> To check it, I defined a new environment variable
> (SYSTEMDRIVER=3D%SYSTEMDRIVE%)
> and ran the setup program again. This time installation finished within a
> couple of minutes.
>
> Best Regards,
> George.

--=20
Sandeep Thakkar
Senior Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise Postgres Company
Phone: +91.20.30589514

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.

Re: BUG #7628: Installation of PostgreSQL 9.2.1 on Windows 7 may take too long

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 11/01/2012 01:23 PM, Sandeep Thakkar wrote:
> Thanks George. I have fixed the typo in initcluster.vbs on all
> affected branches.
Out of interest, how long has that typo been there?

Could this be the cause of *all* the various and persistent issues we've
had with icacls.exe running for ages on some systems? Or have there been
previous problems detected and fixed too?

--
Craig Ringer
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 01:23 PM, Sandeep Thakkar wrote:
>> Thanks George. I have fixed the typo in initcluster.vbs on all
>> affected branches.
> Out of interest, how long has that typo been there?
>
> Could this be the cause of *all* the various and persistent issues we've
> had with icacls.exe running for ages on some systems? Or have there been
> previous problems detected and fixed too?

No, not all. It was introduced in a previous fix for the issue in
October 2011. Given the typo, I think the original fix was partially
effective (hence the occasional reports we still get). With any luck,
this will knock them on the head altogether.

I'm kinda annoyed we never spotted this, given the number of people
that have spent time reviewing and double-checking that code (myself
included). I guess these things happen sometimes no matter how
thorough you are :-(

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #7628: Installation of PostgreSQL 9.2.1 on Windows 7 may take too long

From
limkimhuot
Date:
Dear all,

Today is my fourth day I have been trying to install PostgreSQL
(postgresql-9.2.1-1-windows-x64) in my window 7 x64, yet it fails all the
time.

I don't know much about VB script or I am very new in VB.

Is it correct if I place code of the new environment variable like this:

SYSTEMDRIVER = %SYSTEMDRIVE%
strProgramFiles = objShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%PROGRAMFILES%")
strSystemDrive = objShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%SYSTEMDRIVER%")

One more thing, whenever I re-install PostgreSQL the code will go back to
the original. I have tried to modify it while initializing the database
cluster but it still takes so long time. So, what should I do in this step?

Thank you so much before hand.

Kimhuot

On 11/15/2012 02:11 AM, limkimhuot wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Today is my fourth day I have been trying to install PostgreSQL
> (postgresql-9.2.1-1-windows-x64) in my window 7 x64, yet it fails all the
> time.
>
> I don't know much about VB script or I am very new in VB.
>
> Is it correct if I place code of the new environment variable like this:
>
> SYSTEMDRIVER = %SYSTEMDRIVE%
> strProgramFiles = objShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%PROGRAMFILES%")
> strSystemDrive = objShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%SYSTEMDRIVER%")
This is a typo in the installer. It was recognised and fixed a few weeks
ago; I expect the public installers will have the fix in the next patch
release.

You can work around it in the mean time by editing your system
environment settings to add a SYSTEMDRIVER environment variable.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310519