BUG #6638: Casablanca timezone is wrong

From
dchuet@odotech.com
Date:

Bug reference:      6638
Logged by:          David Chuet
Email address:      dchuet@odotech.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.7
Operating system:   Windows 7 x64

Using Postgresql command :

SELECT * FROM pg_timezone_names
We get for Africa/Casablanca, timezone equal to WET with no DST.

This is not true from 2010.
See Wikipedia, for Morocco:

Time zone     WET (UTC+0)
Summer (DST)     WEST (UTC+1)(May 2nd to August 7th)

So, I cannot set correctly the DateTime for an install in Morocco.

Re: BUG #6638: Casablanca timezone is wrong

Date:
dchuet@odotech.com writes:
> We get for Africa/Casablanca, timezone equal to WET with no DST.
> This is not true from 2010.
> See Wikipedia, for Morocco:

I wouldn't necessarily trust Wikipedia for that.  We use the IANA
(nee Olson) timezone database.  If you think the information in that
is wrong, you should take it up with the upstream maintainers:
http://www.iana.org/time-zones

As far as I can tell from a quick look in their mailing list archives,
the timezone data shipped with 9.0.7 is correct for Morocco through
2011.  It does not know about the 2012 DST law that was just published
a few weeks ago, but unless you can provide use of a time machine,
there's not a lot we can do about that.  We customarily update to the
latest timezone data files available from IANA whenever Postgres update
releases are made.  If you are in a bigger hurry than that, you can get
the latest tzdata files from the above-mentioned page and drop them into
the timezone directory in your installation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #6638: Casablanca timezone is wrong

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
On 14.05.2012 18:21, dchuet@odotech.com wrote:
> We get for Africa/Casablanca, timezone equal to WET with no DST.
>
> This is not true from 2010.
> See Wikipedia, for Morocco:
>
> Time zone     WET (UTC+0)
> Summer (DST)     WEST (UTC+1)(May 2nd to August 7th)

PostgreSQL uses the timezone data from the so-called Olson library. See
http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm. Looking at the upstream library,
this is fixed in the most recent version (tzdata2012c), We will pick up
that change in the next PostgreSQL minor release, ie. 9.0.8 for the 9.0
series.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #6638: Casablanca timezone is wrong

From
David Chuet
Date: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