BUG #6237: Hang during install database initialization

From
"Jim Gray"
Date:

Bug reference:      6237
Logged by:          Jim Gray
Email address:      jim.gray@bull.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.1
Operating system:   Windows Vista
Details:

The only PostgreSQL release that I can successfully install is 9.0.1   I
have tried both 32 and 64 bit Windows installer versions of 9.0.5 and 9.1.1
and all appear to have the same problem.  They get to the dialog indicating
that database initialization may take a few minutes, and then even after 30
minutes on a recent quad core PC, nothing is happening.  No files are
created in the data directory.  The task manager shows that the Postgres
process is not using any CPU time or doing any file I/O.  The 9.0.1 install
only takes about 10 seconds at this stage. I have tried the installs with
anti-virus software disabled, but that didn't help.

Re: BUG #6237: Hang during install database initialization

From
Craig Ringer
> The only PostgreSQL release that I can successfully install is 9.0.1   I
> have tried both 32 and 64 bit Windows installer versions of 9.0.5 and
9.1.1
> and all appear to have the same problem.  They get to the dialog
indicating
> that database initialization may take a few minutes, and then even after
30
> minutes on a recent quad core PC, nothing is happening.  No files are
> created in the data directory.  The task manager shows that the Postgres
> process is not using any CPU time or doing any file I/O.  The 9.0.1
install
> only takes about 10 seconds at this stage. I have tried the installs with
> anti-virus software disabled, but that didn't help.

This sounds like it might be another icacls.exe case. Can I get you to check
the task manager for "icacls" while the install is hung?

Is your PC on a domain?

Jim.Gray@Bull.com
Date:
>Can I get you to check the task manager for "icacls" while the install is
hung?

Yes, I did notice icacls.exe running when I used the task manager to see
what
processes were consuming cpu cycles or doing disk writes.

In fact, icacls.exe was the only thing using the cpu or the disk; the
postgres process was idle.

I also noticed this icacls.exe issue being discussed in the bug mailing
list after I had already submitted my bug report.

>Is your PC on a domain?
No.

Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au>
10/03/2011 04:56 PM

Jim Gray <jim.gray@bull.com>, PostgreSQL bugs <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>,
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [BUGS] BUG #6237: Hang during install database initialization

On Oct 4, 2011 4:30 AM, "Jim Gray" <jim.gray@bull.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      6237
> Logged by:          Jim Gray
> Email address:      jim.gray@bull.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.1
> Operating system:   Windows Vista
> Details:
>
> The only PostgreSQL release that I can successfully install is 9.0.1   I
> have tried both 32 and 64 bit Windows installer versions of 9.0.5 and
9.1.1
> and all appear to have the same problem.  They get to the dialog
indicating
> that database initialization may take a few minutes, and then even after
30
> minutes on a recent quad core PC, nothing is happening.  No files are
> created in the data directory.  The task manager shows that the Postgres
> process is not using any CPU time or doing any file I/O.  The 9.0.1
install
> only takes about 10 seconds at this stage. I have tried the installs
with
> anti-virus software disabled, but that didn't help.
This sounds like it might be another icacls.exe case. Can I get you to
check the task manager for "icacls" while the install is hung?
Is your PC on a domain?

Re: BUG #6237: Hang during install database initialization

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 6:02 PM, <Jim.Gray@bull.com> wrote:

> >Can I get you to check the task manager for "icacls" while the install is
> hung?
>
> Yes, I did notice icacls.exe running when I used the task manager to see
> what
> processes were consuming cpu cycles or doing disk writes.
>
> In fact, icacls.exe was the only thing using the cpu or the disk; the
> postgres process was idle.
>
> I also noticed this icacls.exe issue being discussed in the bug mailing
> list after I had already submitted my bug report.
>
> I've just sent an update to that thread, and will direct any future updates
there for the sake of everyone's sanity.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2011-10/msg00004.php

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com