BUG #6194: Cannot install any of the installers

From
"Pradeep D"
Date:

Bug reference:      6194
Logged by:          Pradeep D
Email address:      pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com
PostgreSQL version: all
Operating system:   Windows 7 64 bit SP1
Details:

I keep getting these errors -
1. Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path
2. An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer

The first message is with 9.x installer version and the second is with 8.x
versions.

I am the admin on my machine.

I also have Windows Scripting active and also disable my antivirus and
firewall while installing these packages.

Please help with any instructions to fix this issue.

Re: BUG #6194: Cannot install any of the installers

From
Dave Page
> Operating system:   Windows 7 64 bit SP1
> Details:
>
> I keep getting these errors -
> 1. Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path
> 2. An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer
>
> The first message is with 9.x installer version and the second is with 8.x
> versions.
>
> I am the admin on my machine.
>
> I also have Windows Scripting active and also disable my antivirus and
> firewall while installing these packages.
>
> Please help with any instructions to fix this issue.

The older installers are probably giving the second error as they didn't
have the same check as the first to ensure that the environment was sane
before trying to install the runtimes. What it's saying is that it cannot
write a file and execute it from your temporary directory. What does %TEMP%
point to, and does that directory exist?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #6194: Cannot install any of the installers

From
Ashesh Vashi
Date:
Hi Pradeep,

- Can you please share the log file(s) found under the temp directory (named
with bitrock-*.log)?
- What is the output of the following command?
*echo %TEMP%*

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company<http://www.enterprisedb.com>

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*<http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi>

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Pradeep D <pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com>wrote:

> Bug reference:      6194
> Logged by:          Pradeep D
> Email address:      pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com
> PostgreSQL version: all
> Operating system:   Windows 7 64 bit SP1
> Details:
>
> I keep getting these errors -
> 1. Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path
> 2. An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer
>
> The first message is with 9.x installer version and the second is with 8.x
> versions.
>
> I am the admin on my machine.
>
> I also have Windows Scripting active and also disable my antivirus and
> firewall while installing these packages.
>
> Please help with any instructions to fix this issue.

Re: BUG #6194: Cannot install any of the installers

From
Pradeep Dharmavarapu
Date:
yes, there is that folder and it was using relative settings like %LOCALUSE=
R% or something similar and I changed it lateron to absolute paths like C:\=
Users\... when installations kept failing. Also, I restarted my machine eve=
rytime environment variable were changed or modified.

Thank you,
Pradeep Dharmavarapu
Mobile: (571) 296-9783
Email: pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com
=20

> Operating system:   Windows 7 64 bit SP1
> Details:
>
> I keep getting these errors -
> 1. Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path
> 2. An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer
>
> The first message is with 9.x installer version and the second is with 8.x
> versions.
>
> I am the admin on my machine.
>
> I also have Windows Scripting active and also disable my antivirus and
> firewall while installing these packages.
>
> Please help with any instructions to fix this issue.

The older installers are probably giving the second error as they didn't ha=
ve the same check as the first to ensure that the environment was sane befo=
re trying to install the runtimes. What it's saying is that it cannot write=
 a file and execute it from your temporary directory. What does %TEMP% poin=
t to, and does that directory exist?

--=20
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=20=

Re: BUG #6194: Cannot install any of the installers

From
Ashesh Vashi
Date:
And, what is the output for the following commands:
*echo %TEMP%*
*cd %TEMP%*
*echo test > test.log *

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company<http://www.enterprisedb.com>

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*<http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi>

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Pradeep Dharmavarapu <
pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com> wrote:

>  There is a folder called .bitrock and inside that folder there is only
> .tmp_5996_6742595 directory that only contains a collection of some .png
> files. There are no log messages from what I have.
>

> Thank you,
> Pradeep Dharmavarapu
> Mobile: (571) 296-9783
> Email: pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com
>
>  ------------------------------
> From: ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com
> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 12:07:53 +0530
> Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #6194: Cannot install any of the installers
>
> To: pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com
> CC: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
>
> Hi Pradeep,
>
> - Can you please share the log file(s) found under the temp directory
> (named with bitrock-*.log)?
> - What is the output of the following command?
> *echo %TEMP%*
>
> --
>  Thanks & Regards,
>
> Ashesh Vashi
> EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>
>
> *http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*<http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi>
>

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Pradeep D <pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com>wrote:

> Bug reference:      6194
> Logged by:          Pradeep D
> Email address:      pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com
> PostgreSQL version: all
> Operating system:   Windows 7 64 bit SP1
> Details:
>
> I keep getting these errors -
> 1. Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path
> 2. An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer
>
> The first message is with 9.x installer version and the second is with 8.x
> versions.
>
> I am the admin on my machine.
>
> I also have Windows Scripting active and also disable my antivirus and
> firewall while installing these packages.
>
> Please help with any instructions to fix this issue.

Re: BUG #6194: Cannot install any of the installers

From
Ashesh Vashi
Date:
The log file clearly states this:

*Input Error: There is no script engine for file extension ".vbs"*

This error can occur if no default scripting engine is set, the VBScript
module is not correctly registered, or the .vbs file class settings are
broken.
You may need to reinstall the WSH or update the registry to associate the
.vbs file to be used with wscript/cscript.

Please follow the below links for the explanation & resolution:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.wsh/browse_thread/thread/32b098dcad4a9ce0/a597a2ca403b8a23
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/06/07/3151752.aspx

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Pradeep Dharmavarapu <

Date:
[...]

Date:
echo %TEMP% - Location of the Temp directory on my system
cd %TEMP% - DOS opens the Temp directory=20

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Pradeep Dharmavarapu <pradeep.dharmavarapu@=

[...]

Date:
I looked at that Google Groups posting and didnt think it was authentic to =
this software. But the root of the problem which is inline with whats menti=
oned in that Google post - I use notepad++ as my .vbs editor. I disassociat=
ed that in notepad++ settings and registry's .vbs HKCR was cleaned up autom=
atically and the installation proceeds without any problem.=20

Thanks. It could be useful to capture all this in your wiki somewhere.

Thank you,
Pradeep Dharmavarapu

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Pradeep Dharmavarapu <pradeep.dharmavarapu@=

[...]

=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=20
=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=20=

Re: BUG #6194: Cannot install any of the installers

From
Ashesh Vashi
Date:
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Pradeep Dharmavarapu <
pradeep.dharmavarapu@live.com> wrote:

>  I looked at that Google Groups posting and didnt think it was authentic to
> this software. But the root of the problem which is inline with whats
> mentioned in that Google post - I use notepad++ as my .vbs editor. I
> disassociated that in notepad++ settings and registry's .vbs HKCR was
> cleaned up automatically and the installation proceeds without any problem.
>
> Thanks.

I am happy that it helped.

> It could be useful to capture all this in your wiki somewhere.

It is already been documented.
Please find the following link:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#Common_installation_errors