LINE COMMAND

From
Felipe Lopes
Date:
I would like to run a line command (psql) with the supplied password without
pausing the command, but this option is not available:

psql --username=3Droot --password=3Droot my_bd < "script.sql"

The pass only can be informed after execution, pausing the command:

psql --username=3Droot --password my_bd<script.sql
Senha para usu=DFrio root: ****

Thanks.

--=20
Felipe L.

Re: LINE COMMAND

From
Mike Fowler
Date:
On 16/08/10 15:03, Felipe Lopes wrote:
> I would like to run a line command (psql) with the supplied password
> without pausing the command, but this option is not available:
> psql --username=root --password=root my_bd < "script.sql"
> The pass only can be informed after execution, pausing the command:
> psql --username=root --password my_bd<script.sql
> Senha para usußrio root: ****
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Felipe L.

Yes, the --password option forces the server to request password
authentication. What you need to do is create a password file and
specify --no-password on your psql command. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html

Mike Fowler
Registered Linux user: 379787

Re: LINE COMMAND

Date:
Felipe Lopes <felipelopess@gmail.com> writes:
> I would like to run a line command (psql) with the supplied password without
> pausing the command, but this option is not available:

> psql --username=root --password=root my_bd < "script.sql"

This is intentionally not supported.  If it were supported it would be
insecure.  On most operating systems, every process in the machine can
see whatever is on the command line of every other process ... including
your password, if you were doing something like the above.

The recommended solution if you don't want to key in the password
separately is to use a .pgpass file.  See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/libpq-pgpass.html

            regards, tom lane

Re: LINE COMMAND

From