strange bug with gist over box and circle

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
If I create a gist index over a box and a circle, the index attributes
appear to both have type box.

I don't see any other, similar situations with other types, and I
haven't investigated the cause yet. Most similar situations work fine.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

postgres=# select version();

version
 PostgreSQL 8.5alpha1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc
(Debian 4.3.4-2) 4.3.4, 64-bit
(1 row)

postgres=# create table foo5(b box, c circle);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create index foo5_idx on foo5 using gist (b,c);
CREATE INDEX
postgres=# \d foo5
     Table "public.foo5"
 Column |  Type  | Modifiers
--------+--------+-----------
 b      | box    |
 c      | circle |
    "foo5_idx" gist (b, c)

postgres=# \d foo5_idx
  Index "public.foo5_idx"
 Column | Type | Definition
--------+------+------------
 b      | box  | b
 c      | box  | c
gist, for table "public.foo5"

Re: strange bug with gist over box and circle

Date:
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> If I create a gist index over a box and a circle, the index attributes
> appear to both have type box.

This is expected, no?  Those opclasses use the STORAGE option.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> This is expected, no?  Those opclasses use the STORAGE option.

I see, that makes sense. I was making the assumption that the types
matched in my new patch, and obviously that's incorrect.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis