BUG #4978: "too many private dirs demanded" error during postgres startup

From
"Jinson Abraham"
Date:

Bug reference:      4978
Logged by:          Jinson Abraham
Email address:      abraham.jinson@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7
Operating system:   Linux (RHEL 5.3)
startup
Details:

I am trying to start postgres 8.3.7 service on RHEL 5.3 but am seeing the
following error in the pgstartup.log file under /var/lib/pgsql

FATAL:  too many private dirs demanded
FATAL:  too many private dirs demanded
FATAL:  too many private dirs demanded
FATAL:  too many private dirs demanded
FATAL:  too many private dirs demanded
FATAL:  too many private dirs demanded

What i have done different after installing postgres is:

1. removed the service "chkconfig --remove postgresql"
2. added the service "chkconfig --add postgres"
3. "chkconfig postgresql on"

additionally when i do "service postgresql status" it gives the following
message:

"dead but pid file exists"

I don't recall doing anything else differently.

Re: BUG #4978: "too many private dirs demanded" error during postgres startup

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Jinson Abraham escribió:

> I am trying to start postgres 8.3.7 service on RHEL 5.3 but am seeing the
> following error in the pgstartup.log file under /var/lib/pgsql
>
> FATAL:  too many private dirs demanded

Huh, this sounds like operating system misconfiguration.  How many files
can a process open?

FWIW I have never seen this error (it comes from AllocateDir).