BUG #4861: Incorrect log_line_prefix default value in postgresql.conf

From
"Dmitry Ryabov"
Date:

Bug reference:      4861
Logged by:          Dmitry Ryabov
Email address:      dmitry-ryabov@mail.ru
PostgreSQL version: 8.4rc1
Operating system:   Windows
postgresql.conf
Details:

log_line_prefix = '%%t '
(must be log_line_prefix = '%t ')

Re: BUG #4861: Incorrect log_line_prefix default value in postgresql.conf

Date:
Dmitry Ryabov wrote:

> Bug reference:      4861
> Logged by:          Dmitry Ryabov
> Email address:      dmitry-ryabov@mail.ru
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4rc1
> Operating system:   Windows
> postgresql.conf
> Details:
>
> log_line_prefix = '%%t '
> (must be log_line_prefix = '%t ')

The Postgres community ships a log_line_prefix of:

    #log_line_prefix = ''                   # special values:

if you look at share/postgresql.conf.sample you will see that line too.
I think you need to look elsewhere about how that got set to '%%t';  I
have no idea.

"Dmitry Ryabov" <dmitry-ryabov@mail.ru> writes:
> postgresql.conf

> log_line_prefix = '%%t '
> (must be log_line_prefix = '%t ')

Uh, the default setting is an empty string.  Are you sure this is
not your own error?  If it isn't, perhaps it is a problem in some
packaging of Postgres, but you did not say which package you are
using.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #4861: Incorrect log_line_prefix default value in postgresql.conf

From
"Milen A. Radev"
Tom Lane написа:
> "Dmitry Ryabov" <dmitry-ryabov@mail.ru> writes:
>> postgresql.conf
>
>> log_line_prefix = '%%t '
>> (must be log_line_prefix = '%t ')
>
> Uh, the default setting is an empty string.  Are you sure this is
> not your own error?  If it isn't, perhaps it is a problem in some
> packaging of Postgres, but you did not say which package you are
> using.

The line looks like that after using the One-click installer
available here - http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do.

Probably should be sorted out by EnterpriseDB.

--
Milen A. Radev

Re: BUG #4861: Incorrect log_line_prefix default value in postgresql.conf

Date:
Milen A. Radev wrote:
> Tom Lane ??????:
> > "Dmitry Ryabov" <dmitry-ryabov@mail.ru> writes:
> >> postgresql.conf
> >
> >> log_line_prefix = '%%t '
> >> (must be log_line_prefix = '%t ')
> >
> > Uh, the default setting is an empty string.  Are you sure this is
> > not your own error?  If it isn't, perhaps it is a problem in some
> > packaging of Postgres, but you did not say which package you are
> > using.
>
> The line looks like that after using the One-click installer
> available here - http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do.
>
> Probably should be sorted out by EnterpriseDB.

I just checked the one-click 8.4rc1 installer on Ubuntu and it is fine:

    #log_line_prefix = ''                   # special values:

so I am unclear why Windows would have a different default.  How are you
viewing this default?  From the command line?

Re: BUG #4861: Incorrect log_line_prefix default value in postgresql.conf

From
"Milen A. Radev"
Date:
Bruce Momjian написа:
> Milen A. Radev wrote:
>> Tom Lane ??????:
>>> Uh, the default setting is an empty string.  Are you sure this is
>>> not your own error?  If it isn't, perhaps it is a problem in some
>>> packaging of Postgres, but you did not say which package you are
>>> using.
>> The line looks like that after using the One-click installer
>> available here - http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do.
>>
>> Probably should be sorted out by EnterpriseDB.
>
> I just checked the one-click 8.4rc1 installer on Ubuntu and it is fine:
>
>     #log_line_prefix = ''                   # special values:
>
> so I am unclear why Windows would have a different default.  How are you
> viewing this default?  From the command line?

I've attached the unmodified "postgresql.conf" just after a
successful installation (it is in "C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data").

Connecting to the server locally with psql gives:

Server [localhost]:
Database [postgres]:
Port [5432]:
Username [postgres]:
psql (8.4rc1)
WARNING: Console code page (866) differs from Windows code page (1251)
          8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
          page "Notes for Windows users" for details.
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# show log_line_prefix;
  log_line_prefix
-----------------
  %%t
(1 row)

postgres=#

--
Milen A. Radev
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Milen A. Radev<milen@radev.net> wrote:
> Tom Lane =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1:
>>
>> "Dmitry Ryabov" <dmitry-ryabov@mail.ru> writes:

>>> postgresql.conf
>>
>>> log_line_prefix =3D '%%t '
>>> (must be log_line_prefix =3D '%t ')
>>
>> Uh, the default setting is an empty string. =9AAre you sure this is
>> not your own error? =9AIf it isn't, perhaps it is a problem in some
>> packaging of Postgres, but you did not say which package you are
>> using.
>
> The line looks like that after using the One-click installer available he=
re
> - http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do.
>
> Probably should be sorted out by EnterpriseDB.

Thanks - on it.

--=20
Dave Page