BUG #4661: Installation

From
"Thomas Waelde"
Date:

Bug reference:      4661
Logged by:          Thomas Waelde
Email address:      thomas@waelde.de
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.5
Operating system:   Linux (Ubuntu 8.10)
Details:

Configring the installation as
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql_8.3.5 --datadir=/var/pg_data
--enable-nls='de' --with-perl --with-python --with-tcl --with-openssl

i got the following error:

checking test program... failed
configure: error:
Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
for the exact reason.

I installed already libpgtypes3 for it.
Thanks a lot in advance
Thomas

Re: BUG #4661: Installation

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
Thomas Waelde wrote:

> checking test program... failed
> configure: error:
> Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
> related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
> for the exact reason.

This is unlikely to be a bug in Pg - it's known to compile and work
perfectly well on Ubuntu 8.10 .

Perhaps you should do what the error message says and look at
"config.log" ?  If you still have trouble, post a request for assistance
to -general and MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE A LINK TO YOUR config.log FILE. DO
NOT ATTACH IT. A good place to upload such files is http://rafb.net/ .

Alternately, if you're not comfortable building from source just install
PostgreSQL from the Ubuntu repositories (using backports if needed).

--
Craig Ringer

Re: BUG #4661: Installation

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 12:11 +0000, Thomas Waelde wrote:
> i got the following error:
>
> checking test program... failed
> configure: error:
> Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
> related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
> for the exact reason.

Is libc6-dev (or such) installed on your Ubuntu box?
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
devrim~gunduz.org, devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr                  http://www.gunduz.org

Re: BUG #4661: Installation

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 12:11 +0000, Thomas Waelde wrote:
>> i got the following error:
>>
>> checking test program... failed
>> configure: error:
>> Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
>> related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
>> for the exact reason.
>
> Is libc6-dev (or such) installed on your Ubuntu box?

What you really want to get a basic build environment is:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

To obtain all required libraries etc for building a particular app, if
Ubuntu happens to package that app, you can just run:

sudo apt-get build-dep postgresql

In most cases Ubuntu builds the most complete and generic configuration
of the app so that'll get you what you need.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: BUG #4661: Installation

From
Thomas Wälde
Date:
Hello Greg, Hello Devrim,

i will follow zour hints and answer back to you on it.
I prefer to install SW like this via the source-code.

Nevertheless thanks a lot
Thomas