psql: FATAL: the database system is starting up

From
Valentin Bogdanov
Date:
Hi,

I run out of disk space on the box and had to delete some files and restart=
 postgres. Ever since I have been getting the above message. PS shows this =
process:

9351 ?        D      0:04 postgres: startup process

Running an strace on this process shows that it is trying to write 8K of ze=
ros to a file called 023D in pg_clog but fails at 224K and it just keeps tr=
ying forever.

I tried replacing the file with one I created - 256K as the other files in =
the pg_clog and filled with zeros. But it keeps doing the same thing :

open("pg_clog/023D", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) =3D 10
_llseek(10, 221184, [221184], SEEK_SET) =3D 0
write(10, "\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 8192=
) =3D 8192
fsync(10)                               =3D 0
close(10)

Any ideas on what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it will be=
 greatly appreciated. Need to get it fixed fast.

Many Thanks
valiouk

Not happy with your email address?.
Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now=
 at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html

Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is starting up

Date:
Valentin Bogdanov <valiouk@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I run out of disk space on the box and had to delete some files and restart postgres. Ever since I have been getting
theabove message. PS shows this process:
> 9351 ?        D      0:04 postgres: startup process
> Running an strace on this process shows that it is trying to write 8K of zeros to a file called 023D in pg_clog but
failsat 224K and it just keeps trying forever.

What PG version is this, exactly?  What files did you delete (any of
Postgres' files)?

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is starting up

Date:
Valentin Bogdanov <valiouk@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> What PG version is this, exactly?  What files did you
>> delete (any of Postgres' files)?

> It's 8.1 and no I didn't delete any postgres files, just some old proxy logs.

8.1.what?

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is starting up

From
Valentin Bogdanov
Date:
It's 8.1.11