BUG #4218: PGOPTIONS not documented for psql

From
"Netzach"
Date:

Bug reference:      4218
Logged by:          Netzach
Email address:      psql-webform-submitbug@netzach.co.il
PostgreSQL version: <=8.3
Operating system:   Documentation
Details:

The psql man page and HTML documentation make no mention of the PGOPTIONS
environment variable. It is only documented with regard to the 'postgres'
command.

I fear other environment variables may also lie hidden and undocumented.

Re: BUG #4218: PGOPTIONS not documented for psql

Date:
"Netzach" <psql-webform-submitbug@netzach.co.il> writes:
> The psql man page and HTML documentation make no mention of the PGOPTIONS
> environment variable. It is only documented with regard to the 'postgres'
> command.

Hm?  The psql man page's Environment section says

    This utility, like most other PostgreSQL utilities, also uses the
    environment variables supported by libpq (see Section 30.12).

and if you see that section, you'll find PGOPTIONS listed.

Now if your complaint were that the description of PGOPTIONS in 30.12
is uselessly scanty, I'd have to agree with that ...

            regards, tom lane