BUG #4198: The bugreport form has an encoding problem

From
"Daniel Migowski"
Date:

Bug reference:      4198
Logged by:          Daniel Migowski
Email address:      dmigowski@ikoffice.de
PostgreSQL version: n/a
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

Entered Umlauts aren't correctly received by your script responsible for the
form at:

  http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug

This might be a problem for entering encoding related problems, which i
tried to do a few minutes ago.

The Input I pasted had in fact nice umlauts displayed, but the response
email from you showed them as 2-char-ASCII representation of the UTF-8 char.

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski

Re: BUG #4198: The bugreport form has an encoding problem

From
"Dave Page"
> Entered Umlauts aren't correctly received by your script responsible for the
> form at:
>
>  http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug
>
> This might be a problem for entering encoding related problems, which i
> tried to do a few minutes ago.
>
> The Input I pasted had in fact nice umlauts displayed, but the response
> email from you showed them as 2-char-ASCII representation of the UTF-8 char.

Looks OK for me, but maybe Gmail is fixing it up.

--
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4198: The bugreport form has an encoding problem

From
Alvaro Herrera
Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Daniel Migowski <dmigowski@ikoffice.de> wrote:

> > Entered Umlauts aren't correctly received by your script responsible for the
> > form at:
> >
> >  http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug
> >
> > This might be a problem for entering encoding related problems, which i
> > tried to do a few minutes ago.
> >
> > The Input I pasted had in fact nice umlauts displayed, but the response
> > email from you showed them as 2-char-ASCII representation of the UTF-8 char.
>
> Looks OK for me, but maybe Gmail is fixing it up.

It does have a problem, because the email sent does not contain a
charset header.  It does look OK for me too -- as long as I use a UTF8
terminal.  The fix is easy, just add this line to the message headers:

Re: BUG #4198: The bugreport form has an encoding problem

Date:
> It does have a problem, because the email sent does not contain a
> charset header.  It does look OK for me too -- as long as I use a UTF8
> terminal.  The fix is easy, just add this line to the message headers:

What happens if someone pastes text into the form that is *not* in UTF-8?

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > It does have a problem, because the email sent does not contain a
> > charset header.  It does look OK for me too -- as long as I use a UTF8
> > terminal.  The fix is easy, just add this line to the message headers:

> What happens if someone pastes text into the form that is *not* in UTF-8?

AFAIK the browser sends the encoding along the request and a conversion
takes place somewhere.  (If I'm mistaken, then the thing to do is
grab the encoding from the POST request.)

Re: BUG #4198: The bugreport form has an encoding problem

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>> It does have a problem, because the email sent does not contain a
>> charset header.  It does look OK for me too -- as long as I use a UTF8
>> terminal.  The fix is easy, just add this line to the message headers:

> What happens if someone pastes text into the form that is *not* in UTF-8?

http form submissions include a content-type header too. I don't remember if
PHP (or is it mod_python?) automatically converts incoming strings to the
server encoding or if you're expected to do that yourself? Or if it isn't
being done for us we could just put that encoding in the email headers.

--
  Gregory Stark