BUG #4109: Typo in documentation

From
"Fujii Masao"
Date:

Bug reference:      4109
Logged by:          Fujii Masao
Email address:      fujii.masao@oss.ntt.co.jp
PostgreSQL version: 8.3
Operating system:   All
Details:

I found the typo in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-enum.html .

> The length of an enum value's textual label is limited by the NAMEDATALEN

> setting compiled into PostgreSQL; in standard builds this means at most 63
bytes.

Correct is that the NAMEDATALEN means 64 bytes in standard builds.

Re: BUG #4109: Typo in documentation

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Fujii Masao wrote:

> Bug reference:      4109
> Logged by:          Fujii Masao
> Email address:      fujii.masao@oss.ntt.co.jp
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3
> Operating system:   All
> Details:
>
> I found the typo in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-enum.html .
>
>> The length of an enum value's textual label is limited by the NAMEDATALEN
>
>> setting compiled into PostgreSQL; in standard builds this means at most 63
> bytes.
>
> Correct is that the NAMEDATALEN means 64 bytes in standard builds.

No. NAMEDATALEN is 64 bytes, but the 64th byte is reserved for the
null-terminator, so the string stored can be at most 63 bytes long.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Date:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> I found the typo in
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-enum.html .
>>
>>> The length of an enum value's textual label is limited by the NAMEDATALEN
>>> setting compiled into PostgreSQL; in standard builds this means at most 63
>> bytes.
>>
>> Correct is that the NAMEDATALEN means 64 bytes in standard builds.
>
> No. NAMEDATALEN is 64 bytes, but the 64th byte is reserved for the
> null-terminator, so the string stored can be at most 63 bytes long.

Ok.

But, it's described that NAMEDATALEN is 64 bytes in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-createtype.html.

This conflict can confuse the user. So, should we unite the
descriptions of the number of bytes for NAMEDATALEN?

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: BUG #4109: Typo in documentation

Date:
Fujii Masao wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >> I found the typo in
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-enum.html .

> >> bytes.
> >>
> >> Correct is that the NAMEDATALEN means 64 bytes in standard builds.
> >
> > No. NAMEDATALEN is 64 bytes, but the 64th byte is reserved for the
> > null-terminator, so the string stored can be at most 63 bytes long.
>
> Ok.
>
> But, it's described that NAMEDATALEN is 64 bytes in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-createtype.html.
>
> This conflict can confuse the user. So, should we unite the
> descriptions of the number of bytes for NAMEDATALEN?

The create_type.sgml file says:

    must be _less_ _than_ <symbol>NAMEDATALEN</symbol> bytes long

so it seems consistent to me.