BUG #3802: cant install

From
"Craig"
Date:

Bug reference:      3802
Logged by:          Craig
Email address:      craigabsiyeh@yahoo.co.uk
PostgreSQL version: 8.2
Operating system:   windows vista
Details:

Have tried to install the programme via the executable intilation file has
ran installation correctly up untill the point where it reads an error "user
"postgres" could not be created: Access denied!

Even if the name is changed this error will still come up but with the new
name replacing the "postgres" section of the error message. Can you please
help me, Regards Craig.

Re: BUG #3802: cant install

From
Magnus Hagander
On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 12:21:38PM +0000, Craig wrote:

> Bug reference:      3802
> Logged by:          Craig
> Email address:      craigabsiyeh@yahoo.co.uk
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2
> Operating system:   windows vista
> Details:
>
> Have tried to install the programme via the executable intilation file has
> ran installation correctly up untill the point where it reads an error "user
> "postgres" could not be created: Access denied!
>
> Even if the name is changed this error will still come up but with the new
> name replacing the "postgres" section of the error message. Can you please
> help me, Regards Craig.

Windows Vista support is available from 8.3 and on. For 8.2, you will have
to install without doing initdb, and do that part manually. You can also
chcek out EnterpriseDB Postgres (their community distribution, not
"advanced server") which has Vista fixes for the installer backported.

//Magnus

Re: BUG #3802: cant install

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 12:21:38PM +0000, Craig wrote:
> >
> > The following bug has been logged online:
> >
> > Bug reference:      3802
> > Logged by:          Craig
> > Email address:      craigabsiyeh@yahoo.co.uk
> > PostgreSQL version: 8.2
> > Operating system:   windows vista
> > Details:
> >
> > Have tried to install the programme via the executable intilation file has
> > ran installation correctly up untill the point where it reads an error "user
> > "postgres" could not be created: Access denied!
> >
> > Even if the name is changed this error will still come up but with the new
> > name replacing the "postgres" section of the error message. Can you please
> > help me, Regards Craig.
>
> Windows Vista support is available from 8.3 and on. For 8.2, you will have
> to install without doing initdb, and do that part manually. You can also
> chcek out EnterpriseDB Postgres (their community distribution, not
> "advanced server") which has Vista fixes for the installer backported.

Uh, why has the the 8.2.X Win32 release not been repackaged to support
Vista?

Re: BUG #3802: cant install

From
"Magnus Hagander"
> > > The following bug has been logged online:
> > >
> > > Bug reference:      3802
> > > Logged by:          Craig
> > > Email address:      craigabsiyeh@yahoo.co.uk
> > > PostgreSQL version: 8.2
> > > Operating system:   windows vista
> > > Details:
> > >
> > > Have tried to install the programme via the executable intilation file has
> > > ran installation correctly up untill the point where it reads an error "user
> > > "postgres" could not be created: Access denied!
> > >
> > > Even if the name is changed this error will still come up but with the new
> > > name replacing the "postgres" section of the error message. Can you please
> > > help me, Regards Craig.
> >
> > Windows Vista support is available from 8.3 and on. For 8.2, you will have
> > to install without doing initdb, and do that part manually. You can also
> > chcek out EnterpriseDB Postgres (their community distribution, not
> > "advanced server") which has Vista fixes for the installer backported.
>
> Uh, why has the the 8.2.X Win32 release not been repackaged to support
> Vista?

Because the changes to the installer were extensive, and we didn't want to back-patch that that to a stable branch.

That said, I *think* the edb postgres uses the same basic code. So maybe it has had enough testing by now to risk a
back-patch.Dave, what do you think?

/Magnus

Re: BUG #3802: cant install

From
"Dave Page"
> Uh, why has the the 8.2.X Win32 release not been repackaged to support
> Vista?

Because the changes were extensive and not appropriate for a back branch.

/D

Re: BUG #3802: cant install

From
"Dave Page"