BUG #3416: User 'postgres' could not be created: access Denied

From
"Mriusz"
Date:

Bug reference:      3416
Logged by:          Mriusz
Email address:      m.krzaczek@goldwell.pl
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.4
Operating system:   MS Vista
Details:

I  have experienced the problem below:

User 'postgres' could not be created: Access Denied

any solution?

Re: BUG #3416: User 'postgres' could not be created: access Denied

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi.

I regard your message as like from an installer.
Please disable User Account Control (UAC) of Windows VISTA.
It corresponds from Installer of Version 8.3...

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

> User 'postgres' could not be created: Access Denied
>
> any solution?

Re: BUG #3416: User 'postgres' could not be created: access Denied

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi.

From: "Mariusz Krzaczek"

> Thank you - that's right :)

No problem. However, Next, please visit here.:-)
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

> Best regards
> Mariusz

Shelby Cain
Date:
Hiroshi,

Wouldn't it be better to start an elevated command prompt (right-click command prompt -> run as admin) and run the
installerdirectly from the command line instead of disabling UAC?  Does that not work?

Regards,

Shelby Cain

From: "Mriusz"

Got a little couch potato?

Re: BUG #3416: User 'postgres' could not be created: access Denied

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi.

From: "Shelby Cain"

> Hiroshi,
>
> Wouldn't it be better to start an elevated command prompt (right-click command prompt ->
> run as admin) and run the installer directly from the command line instead of disabling
> UAC?  Does that not work?

Ahh yes.:-)
ex.)
runas /user:administrator "cmd.exe"

However, Probably, HOME EDITION will be slightly complicated...

Anyway, thanks!

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

> Regards,
>
> Shelby Cain

Dave Page
Date:
Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> Hi.
>
> From: "Shelby Cain"
>
>> Hiroshi,
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to start an elevated command prompt (right-click
>> command prompt -> run as admin) and run the installer directly from
>> the command line instead of disabling UAC?  Does that not work?
>
> Ahh yes.:-)
> ex.)
> runas /user:administrator "cmd.exe"
>
> However, Probably, HOME EDITION will be slightly complicated...

This is going to become my new pet-peeve isn't it? :-)

The Administrator account is disabled by default in new installs of
Vista (upgrades can be different), so this method most likely won't work!!

For those that require evidence, from
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsvistasecurity/archive/2006/08/27/windowsvistasecurity_.aspx

"The built-in administrator account is disabled by default in Windows
Vista on new installations."

Or Google for "vista administrator disabled" and look at any of the
hundreds of relevant hits.

Regards, Dave.

Re: BUG #3416: User 'postgres' could not be created: access Denied

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi.

From: "Dave Page" <dpage@postgresql.org>

(snip)
>> Ahh yes.:-)
>> ex.)
>> runas /user:administrator "cmd.exe"
>>
>> However, Probably, HOME EDITION will be slightly complicated...
>

> This is going to become my new pet-peeve isn't it? :-)
>
> The Administrator account is disabled by default in new installs of
> Vista (upgrades can be different), so this method most likely won't work!!

Yeah:-) Probably, installer of Ver8.3 will be good.!!!
BTW, Is it declared that formal support of VISTA is from Ver8.3?

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Date:
Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> Hi.
>
> From: "Dave Page" <dpage@postgresql.org>
>

> (snip)
>>> Ahh yes.:-)
>>> ex.)
>>> runas /user:administrator "cmd.exe"
>>>
>>> However, Probably, HOME EDITION will be slightly complicated...
>>

>> This is going to become my new pet-peeve isn't it? :-)
>>
>> The Administrator account is disabled by default in new installs of
>> Vista (upgrades can be different), so this method most likely won't
>> work!!
>
> Yeah:-) Probably, installer of Ver8.3 will be good.!!!

No probably about it - it's already fixed :-)

> BTW, Is it declared that formal support of VISTA is from Ver8.3?

Thats the intention.

Regards, Dave