BUG #2289: insert into tables not working

From
"Abhilash Krishnan"
Date:

Bug reference:      2289
Logged by:          Abhilash Krishnan
Email address:      abhi_742@hotmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.2
Operating system:   windows 2000
Details:

I am having an application using java, jsp, struts and hibernate with a
backend of postgresql. Here, during some operations, although the insert
query is generated by hibernate and can be seen in the console, the data is
not  getting inserted into the database. Any idea why it happens ?

Re: BUG #2289: insert into tables not working

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:24:35AM +0000, Abhilash Krishnan wrote:
> I am having an application using java, jsp, struts and hibernate with a
> backend of postgresql. Here, during some operations, although the insert
> query is generated by hibernate and can be seen in the console, the data is
> not  getting inserted into the database. Any idea why it happens ?

Did you commit the transaction that performed the insert?  The
effects of a transaction's operations aren't visible to other
transactions until the transaction commits.  Also, if a transaction
encounters an error its operations will be rolled back unless you
protect them with savepoints.

--
Michael Fuhr

Date:

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 08:55:29AM -0800, Abhilash Krishnan wrote:
> ya.... the transactions are commited.... also no error has been shown in any
> of the operations....

How are you determining that data isn't getting inserted?  If you
do a select in the same transaction as the inserts, do you see the
data?  If you commit the transaction and then start a new transaction,
does a select in the new transaction see the data?  If concurrent
transactions aren't able to see the data even after it's committed,
what isolation level are those transactions using?  A SERIALIZABLE
transaction won't see data committed by other transactions after
its snapshot has been taken.

If none of this helps then could you post a series of steps that
somebody could use to duplicate the problem?

--
Michael Fuhr