postgres 8.1 crashing

From
Kari Lavikka
Date:
my previous post just vanished...

Hi!

I just upgraded pg 8.0.3 to 8.1 (dump and reload) and outcome was a
corrupted database. pg 8.1 seemed to fly but backends were crashing :-/

While tailing the log file I noticed a couple of:
   ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1101389186

Hardware is Sun v40z with 64bit Debian Sarge, Linux 2.6.13.2. Size of
database is somewhere around 500M rows and it's loaded by a website with a
lot of traffic.

Configuration:
   http://tuner.bdb.fi/postgresql.conf

Some backtraces (update queries are included in the bt):
   http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing.txt
   http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing2.txt
   http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing3.txt

And users-table which is involved in all the crashes is described
here (contains ~700000 rows):
   http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing_table.txt

I tried to reindex the table but it didn't help. PG went corrupted
after a while:
   http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing4.txt

Any ideas?

     |\__/|
     ( oo )    Kari Lavikka - tuner@bdb.fi - (050) 380 3808
__ooO(  )Ooo_______ _____ ___ _ _  _   _    _      _                  _
       ""

Re: postgres 8.1 crashing

Date:
Kari Lavikka <tuner@bdb.fi> writes:
> Some backtraces (update queries are included in the bt):
>    http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing.txt
>    http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing2.txt
>    http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing3.txt

This looks to be the toast-vs-index bug already identified.
Patch is here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-11/msg00439.php

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgres 8.1 crashing

Tom Lane wrote:
> Kari Lavikka <tuner@bdb.fi> writes:
> > Some backtraces (update queries are included in the bt):
> >    http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing.txt
> >    http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing2.txt
> >    http://tuner.bdb.fi/pg_crashing3.txt
>
> This looks to be the toast-vs-index bug already identified.
> Patch is here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-11/msg00439.php

Should we start planning for an 8.1.1?

Re: postgres 8.1 crashing