Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

From
vishal saberwal
Date:
hi,
I was reading the post for BUG # 1321 (Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:30:33
-0700) the error "sslv3 alert handshake failure" that i have
encountered now.

I have postgreSQL 8.0.1 and have OpenSSL 0.9.7a.
I have read through the documentation and a few other sites.

PG_HBA.CONF
----------------------
local all all trust
host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
host all all 192.168.0.0/16 trust
hostssl dbm all 192.168.200.201 255.255.255.255 md5

SERVER
--------------
(Fedora Core 2)

Database =3DDBM, owner=3Ddbmuser

I have done the following steps:
(a) openssl req -new -text -out server.req
(b) openssl rsa -in privkey.pem -out server.key
(c) rm privkey.pem
(d) openssl req -x509 -in server.req -text -key server.key -out server.crt
(e) chmod og-rwx server.key

Above steps were from the documentation for 8.0. I tested the
communication to a remote machine (hostssl'ed with md5 in pg_hba.conf)
and the data (when viewed on ethereal) was encrypted.

(f) ln -s server.crt root.crt
(g) ln -s server.key root.key

Now i have [root.crt, root.key, server.crt, server.key, server.req]
files in /usr/local/pgsql/data (which is my $PGDATA) which are owned
by "chown postgres:postgres".

CLIENT
------------
psql -d dbm -c 'select * from hosts;' -U postgres -h 192.168.200.201

Here's where i am stuck.
I created the directory ~/.postgresql as it never existed on remote
machine (Fedora core 3) as user root.

I have tried stopping and restarting the postmaster.

I have following Questions:
(a) How do i create the  ~/.postgresql/postgresql.crt and
~/.postgresql/postgresql.key files (not sure about the commands)?
(b) Where do i get the  ~/.postgresql/root.crt from?
(c) Is there anything else i am missing thats not in document or that
i need to know?

thanks,
vish
(Vishal Saberwal)

Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

From
"T.J. Ferraro"
Date:
Vishal,

    I can't recall but I think if you use 8.0.3 the error would offer
more explanation. Bug 1321 was related to SSL support on windows. The
error you are getting isn't a bug. It's basically telling you it can't
find the postgresql.key and postgresql.crt.

For creating SSL certs I've always used the MySQL example at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/secure-create-certs.html

You can ignore the last part about setting up my.cnf. Instead of doing
the "replace ./demoCA $DIR -- $DIR/openssl.cnf" as they suggest just
manually open your openssl.cnf file and change the ./demoCA to the
location of your openssl.cnf file.

Once finished rename some files:

cacert.pem => root.crt
cakey.pem => root.key
server-key.pem => server.key
server-cert.pem => server.crt
client-key.pem => postgresql.key
client-cert.pem => postgresql.crt

Place the postgresql.* files into the ~/.postgresql directory on the
client side.

So that answers a).

b) The client shouldn't be looking for root.crt

c) That should do it. If you have any more questions feel free to email
me off the list and I'll see what else ya need help with.

    T.J.

vishal saberwal wrote:

>hi,
>I was reading the post for BUG # 1321 (Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:30:33
>-0700) the error "sslv3 alert handshake failure" that i have
>encountered now.
>
>I have postgreSQL 8.0.1 and have OpenSSL 0.9.7a.
>I have read through the documentation and a few other sites.
>
>PG_HBA.CONF
>----------------------
>local all all trust
>host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
>host all all 192.168.0.0/16 trust
>hostssl dbm all 192.168.200.201 255.255.255.255 md5
>
>SERVER
>--------------
>(Fedora Core 2)
>
>Database =DBM, owner=dbmuser
>
>I have done the following steps:
>(a) openssl req -new -text -out server.req
>(b) openssl rsa -in privkey.pem -out server.key
>(c) rm privkey.pem
>(d) openssl req -x509 -in server.req -text -key server.key -out server.crt
>(e) chmod og-rwx server.key
>
>Above steps were from the documentation for 8.0. I tested the
>communication to a remote machine (hostssl'ed with md5 in pg_hba.conf)
>and the data (when viewed on ethereal) was encrypted.
>
>(f) ln -s server.crt root.crt
>(g) ln -s server.key root.key
>
>Now i have [root.crt, root.key, server.crt, server.key, server.req]
>files in /usr/local/pgsql/data (which is my $PGDATA) which are owned
>by "chown postgres:postgres".
>
>CLIENT
>------------
>psql -d dbm -c 'select * from hosts;' -U postgres -h 192.168.200.201
>
>Here's where i am stuck.
>I created the directory ~/.postgresql as it never existed on remote
>machine (Fedora core 3) as user root.
>
>I have tried stopping and restarting the postmaster.
>
>I have following Questions:
>(a) How do i create the  ~/.postgresql/postgresql.crt and
>~/.postgresql/postgresql.key files (not sure about the commands)?
>(b) Where do i get the  ~/.postgresql/root.crt from?
>(c) Is there anything else i am missing thats not in document or that
>i need to know?
>
>thanks,
>vish
>(Vishal Saberwal)

>TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

From
vishal saberwal
Date:
hi TJ,
thanks for your input but i think i am still doing something wrong ...=20
I have done exactly what the mysql site said ...=20
The way we have it set up, changing the version really hampers work
for many (as it is under use all the time) ... Can i achieve this
without changing the version to 8.0.3 ...

Now i have the following setup :
SERVER (192.168.200.10)
(a) /usr/local/pgsql/data
-rw-r--r--   1 postgres postgres  1298 Aug 24 16:10 root.crt
-rw-r--r--   1 postgres postgres   963 Aug 24 16:10 root.key
-rw-r--r--   1 postgres postgres  3675 Aug 24 16:10 server.crt
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres   887 Aug 24 16:10 server.key
-rw-r--r--   1 postgres postgres  2305 Aug 24 13:05 server.req
(b) /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
ssl=3Dtrue
(c) /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
local all all trust
host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
host all all 192.168.0.0/16 trust
hostssl dbm all 192.168.200.201 255.255.255.255 md5
(d) Postmaster command: (as postgres user)
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/ -i  >logfile 2>&1=
 &
I checked and it runs well ...
(e) logfile=20
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2005-08-24 13:12:32 PDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/644F40E0
LOG:  redo record is at 0/644F40E0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 12230; next OID: 11903822
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in pro=
gress
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/644F411C
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: peer did not return a certificate
LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: peer did not return a certificate
LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: peer did not return a certificate
LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: peer did not return a certificate
LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: peer did not return a certificate

CLIENT (192.168.200.201) (logged in as root)
(a) psql -d dbm -c 'select * from node limit 1;' -U postgres -h 192.168.200=
.10
psql: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure
(b) ~/.postgresql/
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  3675 Aug 24 16:25 postgresql.crt
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   887 Aug 24 16:25 postgresql.key
(c) when ssl turned off, the query runs well ... so its not the query
or LAN ... there must be something wrong in the way i am doing it ...

On 8/24/05, T.J. Ferraro <tjtoocool@phreaker.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >psql -d dbm -c 'select * from hosts;' -U postgres -h 192.168.200.201
> >
> >Here's where i am stuck.
> >I created the directory ~/.postgresql as it never existed on remote
> >machine (Fedora core 3) as user root.
> >
> >I have tried stopping and restarting the postmaster.
> >
> >I have following Questions:
> >(a) How do i create the  ~/.postgresql/postgresql.crt and
> >~/.postgresql/postgresql.key files (not sure about the commands)?
> >(b) Where do i get the  ~/.postgresql/root.crt from?
> >(c) Is there anything else i am missing thats not in document or that
> >i need to know?
> >
> >thanks,
> >vish
> >(Vishal Saberwal)

> >TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> >

>=20
>=20

Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

Date:
Thanks a lot TJ,
You were right ...
I installed 8.0.3 and then placed the certificates as suggested by you
... It worked ...

But, Management requires me to use 8.0.1 (on both servers and clients)
as our total infrastructure and coding is based on it ... Is there a
patch I can apply to 8.0.1 so that I could install same version on all
clients and servers ...

I also looked at the below code (from old version but of relevance to
know the permissions expected ) ...
/*
     * make sure $HOME/.postgresql/postgresql.key file exists,
     * is regular file, owned by current user, and not group-
     * or world-accessable.
     */
    snprintf(fnbuf, sizeof fnbuf,  "%s/.postgresql/postgresql.key",=20
        pwd->pw_dir);
    if (lstat(fnbuf, &buf) =3D=3D -1)
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "certificate file exists, but no private key\n");
        SSL_use_certificate(ssl, NULL);
        return -1;
    }
    if (!S_ISREG(buf.st_mode) || buf.st_uid !=3D uid ||
        (buf.st_mode & (S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO)) !=3D 0)
    {
        fprintf(stderr,
            "private key file has wrong ownership or permissions\n");
        SSL_use_certificate(ssl, NULL);
        return -1;
    }

thanks again,
vish

Date:
vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal@gmail.com> writes:
> LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: peer did not return a certificate

It looks to me like you've got the server side set up correctly, but not
the client side.  The client needs to have a certificate to return when
the server demands it.  See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq-ssl.html

            regards, tom lane

Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

Date:
vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal@gmail.com> writes:
> But, Management requires me to use 8.0.1 (on both servers and clients)
> as our total infrastructure and coding is based on it ... Is there a
> patch I can apply to 8.0.1 so that I could install same version on all
> clients and servers ...

There's not really going to be a whole lot of sympathy around here for
people who refuse to adopt a point update.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

From
vishal saberwal
Date:
hi tom,
I agree with what you said ... They considered 8.0.1 as a stable
version they can rely on (but i believe i can propose a change now
after this SSL fix in 8.0.3) ...

Can you direct me to a website that shows the bug fixes and new
features in 8.0.3 when compared to 8.0.1 and 8.0.2  ...

thanks a lot TJ and Tom ...
you've been a great help ...

vish

Date:
vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal@gmail.com> writes:
> I agree with what you said ... They considered 8.0.1 as a stable
> version they can rely on (but i believe i can propose a change now
> after this SSL fix in 8.0.3) ...

Well, actually, I just looked through the CVS logs, and I do not
see any changes related to SSL between 8.0.1 and 8.0.3; the only
significant changes in libpq at all were fixes to make Kerberos
work on Windows.

So I'm wondering if the 8.0.3 update was irrelevant, and the important
point was just to get the client-side key files installed correctly.

As far as fighting with your management goes, you might want to wait
a week and then lean on them to update to 8.0.4, instead.  There are
a couple of data-loss risks fixed for 8.0.4.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

From
vishal saberwal
Date:
Yes you are right again tom ...
When i checked, i found that fedora core came with postgresql 7.4 ...
hence the reason for my SSL not working ...

Installed 8.0.1 on the client and yes it works ...

Guess i can stay on 8.0.1 until we get 8.0.4 ... (is it right for me
to ask what data-loss you are talking about) ...

thanks again,
vish

Date:
vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal@gmail.com> writes:
> Guess i can stay on 8.0.1 until we get 8.0.4 ... (is it right for me
> to ask what data-loss you are talking about) ...

Yeah, they're all documented in the pgsql-committers archives.
Let's see...

    * src/: backend/access/heap/heapam.c, backend/commands/async.c,
    backend/commands/trigger.c, backend/commands/vacuum.c,
    backend/executor/execMain.c, backend/utils/time/tqual.c,
    include/access/heapam.h, include/access/htup.h,
    include/executor/executor.h, include/utils/tqual.h: Repair problems
    with VACUUM destroying t_ctid chains too soon, and with
    insufficient paranoia in code that follows t_ctid links.  (We must
    do both because even with VACUUM doing it properly, the
    intermediate state with a dangling t_ctid link is visible
    concurrently during lazy VACUUM, and could be seen afterwards if
    either type of VACUUM crashes partway through.) Also try to improve
    documentation about what's going on.  Patch is a bit bulky because
    passing the XMAX information around required changing the APIs of
    some low-level heapam.c routines, but it's not conceptually very
    complicated.  Per trouble report from Teodor and subsequent
    analysis.  This needs to be back-patched, but I'll do that after
    8.1 beta is out.

    * doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml, src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c
    (REL8_0_STABLE), doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml,
    src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c: Force a checkpoint before
    committing a CREATE DATABASE command.  This should fix the recent
    reports of "index is not a btree" failures, as well as preventing a
    more obscure race condition involving changes to a template
    database just after copying it with CREATE DATABASE.

    * src/backend/access/transam/: xlog.c (REL7_3_STABLE), xlog.c
    (REL7_4_STABLE), xlog.c (REL7_2_STABLE), xlog.c (REL8_0_STABLE),
    xlog.c: Add test to WAL replay to verify that xl_prev points back
    to the previous WAL record; this is necessary to be sure we
    recognize stale WAL records when a WAL page was only partially
    written during a system crash.

I seem to recall another one, but am not seeing it in the logs right
now.  There are also the usual quota of plain old crashing bugs.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

From
vishal saberwal
Date:
thanks tom for the list on updates on 8.0.4,

quick questions,

Do all my clients have to have same postgresql.key and postgresql.crt,
or can i have different keys and certificates on each client
authenticating with the same server?

Also, in case of multi master replication with multiple servers, what
keys they need to have in common?

thanks,
vish

> vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal@gmail.com> writes:
> > Guess i can stay on 8.0.1 until we get 8.0.4 ... (is it right for me
> > to ask what data-loss you are talking about) ...
>=20
> Yeah, they're all documented in the pgsql-committers archives.
> Let's see...
>=20
>=20
>         * src/: backend/access/heap/heapam.c, backend/commands/async.c,
>         backend/commands/trigger.c, backend/commands/vacuum.c,
>         backend/executor/execMain.c, backend/utils/time/tqual.c,
>         include/access/heapam.h, include/access/htup.h,
>         include/executor/executor.h, include/utils/tqual.h: Repair proble=
ms
>         with VACUUM destroying t_ctid chains too soon, and with
>         insufficient paranoia in code that follows t_ctid links.  (We must
>         do both because even with VACUUM doing it properly, the
>         intermediate state with a dangling t_ctid link is visible
>         concurrently during lazy VACUUM, and could be seen afterwards if
>         either type of VACUUM crashes partway through.) Also try to impro=
ve
>         documentation about what's going on.  Patch is a bit bulky because
>         passing the XMAX information around required changing the APIs of
>         some low-level heapam.c routines, but it's not conceptually very
>         complicated.  Per trouble report from Teodor and subsequent
>         analysis.  This needs to be back-patched, but I'll do that after
>         8.1 beta is out.
>=20
>=20
>         * doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml, src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c
>         (REL8_0_STABLE), doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml,
>         src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c: Force a checkpoint before
>         committing a CREATE DATABASE command.  This should fix the recent
>         reports of "index is not a btree" failures, as well as preventing=
>         more obscure race condition involving changes to a template
>         database just after copying it with CREATE DATABASE.
>=20
>=20
>         * src/backend/access/transam/: xlog.c (REL7_3_STABLE), xlog.c
>         (REL7_4_STABLE), xlog.c (REL7_2_STABLE), xlog.c (REL8_0_STABLE),
>         xlog.c: Add test to WAL replay to verify that xl_prev points back
>         to the previous WAL record; this is necessary to be sure we
>         recognize stale WAL records when a WAL page was only partially
>         written during a system crash.
>=20
> I seem to recall another one, but am not seeing it in the logs right
> now.  There are also the usual quota of plain old crashing bugs.
>=20
>                         regards, tom lane

PQconnectdb SSL (sslmode)

From
vishal saberwal
Date:
hi,
I am not sure if this is a bug.

My PG_HBA.CONF
----------------------------
local all all trust
host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
host all all 192.168.0.0/16 trust
hostssl dbm all 192.168.200.201 255.255.255.255 md5

int ret=3DPQconnectdb("hostaddr=3D192.168.200.10 dbname=3Ddbm user=3Dpostgr=
es
sslmode=3Dprefer");

' ret' prints -1.

Now when I change the above function to one with sslmode=3Dallow, the
connection is established and query runs.

I do have (ssl=3Dtrue) in postgresql.conf and have tested the
certificates and they are working right. I also restart the postmaster
after every change in postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf.

I would prefer the connections are SSL and hence would like to use the
default "prefer" sslmode.

vish

Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

From
vishal saberwal
Date:
I have the answer for one of the two questions i asked:

(a) all clients for a server will have same postgresql.key and .crt.

(b) I still don't know:
Machine A needs to talk (replicate for example: pgreplicator) to
machine B. They both are servers on the same network with certificates
from the same CA. Do they both might need to authenticate, or in other
words is it true that:
(1) Machine A has to send its postgresql (.key,.crt) to Machine B and
(2) Machine B has to send its postgresql (.key,.crt) to Machine A.

thanks,
vish

On 8/25/05, vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >         committing a CREATE DATABASE command.  This should fix the rece=
nt
> >         reports of "index is not a btree" failures, as well as preventi=
ng a
> >         more obscure race condition involving changes to a template
> >         database just after copying it with CREATE DATABASE.

> >         * src/backend/access/transam/: xlog.c (REL7_3_STABLE), xlog.c
> >         (REL7_4_STABLE), xlog.c (REL7_2_STABLE), xlog.c (REL8_0_STABLE),
> >         xlog.c: Add test to WAL replay to verify that xl_prev points ba=
ck
> >         to the previous WAL record; this is necessary to be sure we
> >         recognize stale WAL records when a WAL page was only partially
> >         written during a system crash.
> >
> > I seem to recall another one, but am not seeing it in the logs right
> > now.  There are also the usual quota of plain old crashing bugs.

Re: PQconnectdb SSL (sslmode)

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 06:20:52PM -0700, vishal saberwal wrote:

> I am not sure if this is a bug.

If you're not sure then it would be better to post to another mailing
list like pgsql-general or one of the more specific lists.  That
would expose your question to a larger pool of expertise, and it
would minimize the number of false bug reports.

> int ret=PQconnectdb("hostaddr=192.168.200.10 dbname=dbm user=postgres
> sslmode=prefer");
>
> ' ret' prints -1.

PQconnectdb() returns a PGconn * -- why are you assigning the return
value to an int?  After PQconnectdb() you should be calling PQstatus()
and checking its return value.  If the status isn't CONNECTION_OK
then PQerrorMessage() should return a string saying why.  See the
libpq documentation for more information:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq.html#LIBPQ-CONNECT
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq-status.html

--
Michael Fuhr