request

From
"Llewellyn Falco"
Date:
It is really hard to currently alter table schema.

=20

Particularly the order of the table schema.

to move a column position is very hard. worse if your table as references (=
and which proper tables don't ?)

=20

=20

=20

I would really like postgres to model the alter syntax of mysql, which is r=
eally easy to modify table schema especially to include the AFTER col_name =
 part.

=20

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/alter-table.html

=20

=20

=20

thanks,

=20

Llewellyn.

Re: request

From
"John Hansen"
Date:
>=09
>    It is really hard to currently alter table schema.
>
>    Particularly the order of the table schema.
>
>    to move a column position is very hard. worse if your table as
references (and which proper=20
>     tables don't ?)

=09=20
Doesn't that in itself promote bad programming?
Relying on the order of columns is a bad thing(tm), imo.

>    I would really like postgres to model the alter syntax of mysql,
which is really easy to modify=20
>    table schema especially to include the AFTER col_name  part.
>
>    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/alter-table.html
>

>    thanks,
>
>    Llewellyn.
>
>=09

... John

Re: request

From
John R Pierce
Date:
> I would really like postgres to model the alter syntax of mysql, which
> is really easy to modify table schema especially to include the AFTER
> col_name  part.

A) why does the order of the columns in a particular table matter at all?

B) is this any sort of SQL standard?

Re: request

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
John R Pierce wrote:

>> I would really like postgres to model the alter syntax of mysql,
>> which is really easy to modify table schema especially to include the
>> AFTER col_name  part.
>

> A) why does the order of the columns in a particular table matter at all?

If coding without caring (about portability/robustness), unfortunately
programmers are seduced by MySQL to work like that..

> B) is this any sort of SQL standard?

Definitely no.
Do not use SELECT * if you need a specific column ordering, *that* is
SQL standard.

Regards,
Andreas