Version control for DLLs installed into WINNT/system32

From
Markus Öllinger
Date:
I've found that if you have installed a previous beta release (e.g. beta4)
and deinstall it, then the DLLs in system32 are not removed (e.g.
libpq.dll). Furthermore, if you then install beta5, it does not complain but
doesn't overwrite the old versions either.

As a consequence, the old DLLs are used by beta5 and the DB does not work.
The same applies to libeay32.dll.

Ein sicherer Chat, eine nette Konversation oder eine produktive
Zusammenarbeit! http://messenger.msn.at?DI=1031&XAPID=2532

Re: Version control for DLLs installed into WINNT/system32

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> I've found that if you have installed a previous beta release=20
> (e.g. beta4) and deinstall it, then the DLLs in system32 are=20
> not removed (e.g. libpq.dll).

That is not good, and needs to be fixed. Please log a bug with the pginstal=
ler project on pgfoundry.org.

> Furthermore, if you then install beta5, it does=20
> not complain but doesn't overwrite the old versions either.

That is normal. We don't bump file versions during beta. Once a new product=
ion release is installed it will have a higher version number on libpq.dll,=
 and the file will automatically be replaced.

> As a consequence, the old DLLs are used by beta5 and the DB=20
> does not work.
> The same applies to libeay32.dll.

The uninstall part. This file has not changed during beta, though, so it sh=
ouldn't be a problem. A problem with this file is that we pull it in from u=
pstream, and it doesn't have a versioninfo tag...

//Magnus