interval conversion bug

From
"Andrzej Wojtaszek"
Date:
Hi,
=20
I'm afraid that operator ::interval not working propertly=20
example:
=20
select 1
######################
select now() + (1||' day')::interval;
working propertly
######################

I have my function writen in plpgsql

function test(varchar) returns varchar;=20

select 2
######################
select my_name,
  test('12')
from table1
######################

returns 'aaa', '12 MONTH'=20

working  propertly

select 3
######################
select my_name=20
 now() +  (test('12'))::interval
from table1
######################

not working with error "cannot cast type character varying to iterval"

Facts=20
Database version 7.4.5
psql version 7.4.5
platform PIV
linux : Debian

Regards

Andrzej Wojtaszek

Re: interval conversion bug

Date:
"Andrzej Wojtaszek" <Andrzej.Wojtaszek@pro-futuro.com> writes:
> not working with error "cannot cast type character varying to iterval"

8.0 is more flexible about that, but for the moment use type text
instead of varchar.

            regards, tom lane

Re: interval conversion bug

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Andrzej Wojtaszek wrote:

> I'm afraid that operator ::interval not working propertly
> example:
>
> select 1
> ######################
> select now() + (1||' day')::interval;
> working propertly
> ######################

This is a text -> interval conversion

> select 3
> select my_name
>  now() +  (test('12'))::interval
> from table1

This is a varchar -> interval conversion.

It looks like 7.4 doesn't have the latter conversion and requires you to
go through text to make the conversion. 8.0 appears to add direct
conversions from varchar.