error

From
Jheneffer Taruc
Date:
Hi,

Gud day!

I would like to use, postgres and currently installed cygwin, but unfortunately when i started creating a new database
cluster...as i've followed in.. FAQ_MSWIN

3b.  Use the initdb command to create a new database cluster.  An
         example command would be:

            initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -W -E LATIN1

--- i got error message from cygwin shell... the following are the error i commited

creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1... FATAL: Lock file :/usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid"
alreadyexists
HINT: Is another postgres (PID 1836) running in data directory ":/usr/local/pgsql/data"?

initdb: failed

--- another thing is i always encountered error when i start creating data base

psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused

what is the problem? hope for your immediate respose
thanks.

Re: error

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Jheneffer Taruc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gud day!
>
> I would like to use, postgres and currently installed cygwin, but
> unfortunately when i started creating a new database cluster... as
> i've followed in.. FAQ_MSWIN

Jheneffer, can I recommend you try the latest version 8.0 (beta).
Details at the url below:
   http://www.postgresql.org/news/216.html

This is going to be a native Windows port and there is a standard
installer for it (link in the news article). This probably makes more
sense if you're just starting out.

Good Luck!

--
   Richard Huxton