Erro

From
Aldrey Galindo
Date:
Hi,  Would like to report a problem that happened with a
friend mine.  I was to inquire and I found the
following one.

--
db=# create table teste (desc varchar(50));
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "desc" at
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "table" at
character 21
--

Aldrey

Yahoo! Messenger - Fale com seus amigos online. Instale agora!
http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/

Re: Erro

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, [iso-8859-1] Aldrey Galindo wrote:

> Hi,
>    Would like to report a problem that happened with a
> friend mine.  I was to inquire and I found the
> following one.
>
> --
> db=# create table teste (desc varchar(50));
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "desc" at
> character 21
> db=# create table table (teste varchar(50));
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "table" at
> character 14

DESC and TABLE are reserved words in SQL, so you need to double
quote them to use them as column or table names.

Re: Erro

Date:
Aldrey Galindo <aldreygalindo@yahoo.com.br> writes:
> db=# create table teste (desc varchar(50));
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "desc" at
> character 21

DESC is a reserved keyword, per the SQL specification.

If you really really want to name your column or table "desc", you can
double-quote the word.  But I'd suggest picking another name.
        regards, tom lane