Core Dump on SunOS + 7.3.3

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Just had a client report a core dump of 7.3.3 on on SunOS 2.9 after the system
was running for a couple of weeks.

I'm inclined to tell them to upgrade to 7.3.6 and try again, but was wondering
if this jogs anyone's memory.   I've searched the archives and the HISTORY,
and the only 7.3.3 --> 7.3.6 core dumping issues I see relate to pg_dump, or
Solaris 7.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Core Dump on SunOS + 7.3.3

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Just had a client report a core dump of 7.3.3 on on SunOS 2.9 after the system
> was running for a couple of weeks.

Can't do much without more detail than that.  A stack trace would be
most helpful, but at the very least I'd want to know what query dumped
core...

Is it reproducible?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Core Dump on SunOS + 7.3.3

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> Can't do much without more detail than that.  A stack trace would be
> most helpful, but at the very least I'd want to know what query dumped
> core...
>
> Is it reproducible?

Apparently not ... just crops up randomly, after 2+ weeks of good service.
Will dig for more information ... and get them to upgrade to 7.3.6.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 651-9224
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Core Dump on SunOS + 7.3.3

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Is it reproducible?

> Apparently not ... just crops up randomly, after 2+ weeks of good service.
> Will dig for more information ... and get them to upgrade to 7.3.6.

Yeah, given the presence of the sometimes-fails-to-restart-after-crash
bug in 7.3.3, it would be irresponsible not to make them update to 7.3.6
ASAP anyway.

I don't have very strong hope that 7.3.6 will cure their problem,
although I do see a couple of post-7.3.3 CVS entries that could possibly
be relevant, notably:

    * src/backend/utils/adt/selfuncs.c (REL7_3_STABLE): Work around
    buggy strxfrm() present in some Solaris releases.

Don't recall now which are "some" Solaris releases.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Core Dump on SunOS + 7.3.3

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

>     * src/backend/utils/adt/selfuncs.c (REL7_3_STABLE): Work around
>     buggy strxfrm() present in some Solaris releases.
>
> Don't recall now which are "some" Solaris releases.

Turns out it is the "user with no password" bug, which was throught to affect
only Solaris 7 or 8.   However, it turns out that they are using a
pre-release of Solaris 9, so they have the same issue.   They've been told to
upgrage to 7.3.6.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions