BUG #1110: psql -h localhost consults the nameservice

From
"PostgreSQL Bugs List"
Date:

Bug reference:      1110
Logged by:          Michael Enke

Email address:      michael.enke@wincor-nixdorf.com

PostgreSQL version: 7.4

Operating system:   Linux

Details:

If I call "psql -h localhost" it is very slow
compared to "psql -h 127.0.0.1" since for "localhost"
the nameservice is consulted.

It is reproducable best in a loop. Call 50 times:
"psql -h localhost" takes 6 seconds
"psql -h 127.0.0.1" takes 0.6 seconds
This was not the case for psql from version 7.3
May be this has something to do with changes for IP v6.

For any mail to my email address, please include
in the subject line the keyword
_no_spam_

Thank you.

Re: BUG #1110: psql -h localhost consults the nameservice

> If I call "psql -h localhost" it is very slow
> compared to "psql -h 127.0.0.1" since for "localhost"
> the nameservice is consulted.
>
> It is reproducable best in a loop. Call 50 times:
> "psql -h localhost" takes 6 seconds
> "psql -h 127.0.0.1" takes 0.6 seconds
> This was not the case for psql from version 7.3
> May be this has something to do with changes for IP v6.

Odds are your nameserver is messed up.  Try:

    host localhost

and see if that is slow.  I bet it is.

Re: BUG #1110: psql -h localhost consults the nameservice

Date:
"PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org> writes:
> If I call "psql -h localhost" it is very slow
> compared to "psql -h 127.0.0.1" since for "localhost"
> the nameservice is consulted.

This is not a bug; it's supposed to do that.  If you don't like it,
reconfigure your name service (see /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf).

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #1110: psql -h localhost consults the nameservice

From
"Enke, Michael"
Tom Lane wrote:
> "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org> writes:
>
>>If I call "psql -h localhost" it is very slow
>>compared to "psql -h 127.0.0.1" since for "localhost"
>>the nameservice is consulted.
>

> This is not a bug; it's supposed to do that.  If you don't like it,
> reconfigure your name service (see /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf).
>
>             regards, tom lane

Ok, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.
But definitively for postgresql version 7.3.3 on RedHat Linux,
for "localhost" it was not contacting the name service.
This difference I noticed.

Regards,
Michael