PATCH: Uninitialized variable usage in contrib/pg_autovacuum

From
Craig Boston
Date:
Sorry about the cross-post -- I'm not 100% sure which list this should be sent
to.

I noticed in the 7.4 release that in contrib/pg_autovacuum, args->logfile is
not initialized if a log file is not specified on the command line.  This
causes an immediate segfault on systems that fill allocated memory with some
value other than zero (my FreeBSD machine uses 0xD0).

Several crashes later I discovered that args->user, password, host, and port
are also used without being initialized.

This doesn't appear to be fixed in CVS and I came up empty on a mailing list
search -- hope it hasn't been reported already.

Attached is a quick patch that fixes the problem.

--
Craig

Re: PATCH: Uninitialized variable usage in contrib/pg_autovacuum

Date:

Craig Boston wrote:
> Sorry about the cross-post -- I'm not 100% sure which list this should be sent
> to.
>
> I noticed in the 7.4 release that in contrib/pg_autovacuum, args->logfile is
> not initialized if a log file is not specified on the command line.  This
> causes an immediate segfault on systems that fill allocated memory with some
> value other than zero (my FreeBSD machine uses 0xD0).
>
> Several crashes later I discovered that args->user, password, host, and port
> are also used without being initialized.
>
> This doesn't appear to be fixed in CVS and I came up empty on a mailing list
> search -- hope it hasn't been reported already.
>
> Attached is a quick patch that fixes the problem.
>
> --
> Craig

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: PATCH: Uninitialized variable usage in contrib/pg_autovacuum

Date:
Patch applied.  Thanks.

Craig Boston wrote:
> Sorry about the cross-post -- I'm not 100% sure which list this should be sent
> to.
>
> I noticed in the 7.4 release that in contrib/pg_autovacuum, args->logfile is
> not initialized if a log file is not specified on the command line.  This
> causes an immediate segfault on systems that fill allocated memory with some
> value other than zero (my FreeBSD machine uses 0xD0).
>
> Several crashes later I discovered that args->user, password, host, and port
> are also used without being initialized.
>
> This doesn't appear to be fixed in CVS and I came up empty on a mailing list
> search -- hope it hasn't been reported already.
>
> Attached is a quick patch that fixes the problem.
>
> --
> Craig

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: PATCH: Uninitialized variable usage in contrib/pg_autovacuum

Date:
Patch applied to 7.4.X too.

Craig Boston wrote:
> Sorry about the cross-post -- I'm not 100% sure which list this should be sent
> to.
>
> I noticed in the 7.4 release that in contrib/pg_autovacuum, args->logfile is
> not initialized if a log file is not specified on the command line.  This
> causes an immediate segfault on systems that fill allocated memory with some
> value other than zero (my FreeBSD machine uses 0xD0).
>
> Several crashes later I discovered that args->user, password, host, and port
> are also used without being initialized.
>
> This doesn't appear to be fixed in CVS and I came up empty on a mailing list
> search -- hope it hasn't been reported already.
>
> Attached is a quick patch that fixes the problem.
>
> --
> Craig

[ Attachment, skipping... ]