Bug #955: server crashes during plperl execution

From
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Date:
A.Bhuvaneswaran (bhuvansql@myrealbox.com) reports a bug with a severity of 1

Short Description
server crashes during plperl execution

Long Description
Hi,

I am using postgresql 7.3.2.

When i execute a simple plperl procedure, the server is crashed. What could be the reason? FYI, i have included the
perlcode and the server log.

regards,
bhuvaneswaran

Sample Code
create or replace function perl_test (text, text)
returns int as '

  my ($A1, $A2) = @_;
  print "Argument 1 :$A1:\n";
  print "Argument 2 :$A2:\n";
  return 1;
'
language 'plperl';

test=# SELECT version();
                           version
 PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
(1 row)

test=# SELECT perl_test('a1', 'a2');
        before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.
test=#\q

<log>
LOG:  server process (pid 20676) was terminated by signal 11
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am
        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and semaphores
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2003-04-26 16:39:07 IST
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/52DAFAC0
LOG:  redo record is at 0/52DAFAC0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction id: 107226806; next oid: 4350544
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG:  redo starts at 0/52DAFB00
LOG:  ReadRecord: record with zero length at 0/52DCAA74
LOG:  redo done at 0/52DCAA50
LOG:  database system is ready
</log>

No file was uploaded with this report

Re: Bug #955: server crashes during plperl execution

Date:
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:
> When i execute a simple plperl procedure, the server is crashed.

Your test case works fine for me on Red Hat 8.0 and HPUX 10.20.
My best guess is something wrong with your local Perl installation
--- but there's not enough info in your report to guess with any
confidence.

            regards, tom lane