Suggestion

From
muhammad umar
Date:
hello,
im using PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
compiled by GCC 2.96.
i have a suggestion for the name of this DBMS, and
that it should not be PostgreSQL but it should be
PregreSQL, as im feeling its a DBMS that perhaps might
be used 100 years ago,,proof for this is its
techniques for showing errors that if we have a 1400
lines sql query contain some error,,it give error as "
parse error at or near <some column name>" ,,now if
that column is used at several places ,,we might have
to browse the whole of the cream.......
this is one of example of the limit of stupidity this
DBMS having,,,
this used to waste the time that should be spent in
development...so consider changing the name of this
stupid DBMS,,

regards
Muhammad Umar Liaquat
Database Administrator
Vigilant Systems Limited.

http://platinum.yahoo.com

Re: [GENERAL] Suggestion

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
I stand corrected, after reading tom's post about 7.3.2.

Error reporting to the point of failure in the querry is COOL, thanks to all who
worked on that. I will have to bug my provider to install the latest version.

Dennis Gearon wrote:
> maybe he's a little vitrolic, but the error reporting could be MUCH
> better. Seems like the parse tree should be able to show where the error
> is.
>
> muhammad umar wrote:
>
>> hello,
>> im using PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
>> compiled by GCC 2.96.
>> i have a suggestion for the name of this DBMS, and
>> that it should not be PostgreSQL but it should be
>> PregreSQL, as im feeling its a DBMS that perhaps might
>> be used 100 years ago,,proof for this is its
>> techniques for showing errors that if we have a 1400
>> lines sql query contain some error,,it give error as "
>> parse error at or near <some column name>" ,,now if
>> that column is used at several places ,,we might have
>> to browse the whole of the cream.......
>> this is one of example of the limit of stupidity this
>> DBMS having,,,
>> this used to waste the time that should be spent in
>> development...so consider changing the name of this
>> stupid DBMS,,
>>
>> regards
>> Muhammad Umar Liaquat
>> Database Administrator
>> Vigilant Systems Limited.

>> Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!
>> http://platinum.yahoo.com

>> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>> subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>> message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: [GENERAL] Suggestion

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, muhammad umar wrote:

> hello,
> im using PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> compiled by GCC 2.96.
> i have a suggestion for the name of this DBMS, and
> that it should not be PostgreSQL but it should be
> PregreSQL, as im feeling its a DBMS that perhaps might
> be used 100 years ago,,proof for this is its
> techniques for showing errors that if we have a 1400
> lines sql query contain some error,,it give error as "
> parse error at or near <some column name>" ,,now if
> that column is used at several places ,,we might have
> to browse the whole of the cream.......
> this is one of example of the limit of stupidity this
> DBMS having,,,
> this used to waste the time that should be spent in
> development...so consider changing the name of this
> stupid DBMS,,

Two suggestions:

1:  No one is twisting your arm, feel free to switch to something else.
2:  Patches happily accepted.

Re: [GENERAL] Suggestion

From
Darren Ferguson
Date:
The database parser in 7.3.2 tells you the character at which the error
occurred. You could always upgrade to that version instead of bumping
your gums on a topic where people spend there own free time providing a
system for you to use.

Have some consideration
Darren

Date: