PostgreSQL

From
"Om Computer & Software S.R.L."
Date:
When inserting a row into a table, if there is a varchar column and if
in that column the value to be inserted is a zero length string (like
''), then instead of writing a null value, PostgreSQL writes that zero
length string. We are able to do this with delphi which generates such
sql insert phrases. We contacted Borland, but there was no answer. I
don't know if this is a bug, but I'm sure that inserting a null value
instead of a zero length string would help us a lot.

Re: PostgreSQL

From
Robert Hentosh
Date:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Om Computer & Software S.R.L. wrote:

> When inserting a row into a table, if there is a varchar column and if
> in that column the value to be inserted is a zero length string (like
> ''), then instead of writing a null value, PostgreSQL writes that zero
> length string. We are able to do this with delphi which generates such
> sql insert phrases. We contacted Borland, but there was no answer. I
> don't know if this is a bug, but I'm sure that inserting a null value
> instead of a zero length string would help us a lot.

NULL and an empty string are two different things.  NULL is supposed to
represent an unknown value.  This is similar to NULL in the integer space,
where NULL is not the same as a 0.

Postgresql is following the spec in this regard.

Re: PostgreSQL

From
Noah Misch
Date:
On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 07:14:26AM +0000, Ерошкин Павел Николаевич wrote:
> I ask to specify whether use of PostgreSQL in the context of the provision of article 1286.1 of the civil code of the
RussianFederation is possible

> Also I ask to estimate a possibility of compliance of PostgreSQL to the criteria established in points 4.1.5. and
4.1.6.GOST P 54593-2011 and possibilities of reference to the free software.

> Whenever possible I ask to provide contact of Russian-language support to avoid misunderstanding in a semantic part
ofthe questions posed.