Bug #762: copy table from '/home/postgres/import' using delimiters ',' errors on first line.

From
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Date:
Jeff Post (postjeff@uwm.edu) reports a bug with a severity of 4

Short Description
copy table from '/home/postgres/import' using delimiters ',' errors on first line.

Long Description
When I attempt to populate an empty table using copy from (specificaly while using a comma as the delimiter) I recieve
anatoi error on the first row and the copy fails. If I add a comma to the end of the first row, I get a warning message
aboutextra fields being ignored and the copy completes successfuly.

The file I am using to copy from is generated by an oracle application that is saved onto a windows desktop and ftp'd
tothe linux machine running PostgreSQL.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Post

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report

Re: Bug #762: copy table from '/home/postgres/import' using

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org wrote:

> Long Description
> When I attempt to populate an empty table using copy from (specificaly
> while using a comma as the delimiter) I recieve an atoi error on the
> first row and the copy fails. If I add a comma to the end of the first
> row, I get a warning message about extra fields being ignored and the
> copy completes successfuly.
>
> The file I am using to copy from is generated by an oracle application
> that is saved onto a windows desktop and ftp'd to the linux machine
> running PostgreSQL.

Are you perhaps running into an end of line difference problem?  You
probably are getting CRLF vs LF.