LOG_PID

From
Ymir
Date:
Hello

I'm using the latest Postgres version, and I'm trying to get rid of the PID=
=20
of the backend when logging to syslogd. After seeing it's not doable, I=20
looked at the source only to find:

openlog(Syslog_ident, LOG_PID | LOG_NDELAY, syslog_fac);

Re-reading the docs, I see no mention of the fact that this will only work=
=20
for logging to a file (I didn't check the code for that, I don't know if it=
=20
works), I must assume this is a bug, something you've overlooked. The fix i=
s=20
quite easy to do. That is, if I'm not getting something wrong, in which cas=
e=20
I'll apreciate any input.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you.

Re: LOG_PID

Date:
Ymir <ymir@wolfheart.ro> writes:
> I'm using the latest Postgres version, and I'm trying to get rid of the PID
> of the backend when logging to syslogd.

Seems like a fairly bad idea, since you'll then be unable to distinguish
the log outputs from multiple Postgres backends running concurrently.
However, it's surely doable if you remove LOG_PID from the openlog()
call.

> Re-reading the docs, I see no mention of the fact that this will only work
> for logging to a file (I didn't check the code for that, I don't know if it
> works), I must assume this is a bug, something you've overlooked.

I see no bug, and I really don't understand your claim that it only
works for logging to a file.  syslog is syslog; where the syslog daemon
sends the log messages is not our concern.

            regards, tom lane