library path

From
"SunMie Won"
Date:
I am trying to do an install of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on Red Hat 6.0. I have
unzipped, compiled, and installed successfully, but am having trouble
creating the database cluster. I am using the command as the postgres user:
initdb --pgdata/usr/local/pgsql/data
and get the message:
"initdb does not know where to find the files that make up the Postgres
(PGLIB directory). You must identify the PGLIB directory either with a
--pglib invocation " .... etc.

I have set the following environment variable:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/library

Is that related? What am I doing wrong, or forgetting?

SunMie Won
sunmiewon@yahoo.com
415.336.3382 cell
530.550.0833 home

Attachment

Re: library path

Date:
"SunMie Won" <sunmiewon@yahoo.com> writes:
> I am trying to do an install of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on Red Hat 6.0. I have
> unzipped, compiled, and installed successfully, but am having trouble
> creating the database cluster. I am using the command as the postgres user:
> initdb --pgdata/usr/local/pgsql/data
> and get the message:
> "initdb does not know where to find the files that make up the Postgres
> (PGLIB directory). You must identify the PGLIB directory either with a
> --pglib invocation " .... etc.

7.1's initdb script contains no such error message.  I suspect you are
invoking the wrong version of initdb, ie one left over from an older
PG installation.  Check your PATH.

            regards, tom lane

Re: library path

From
Cristiano Gonçalve e Souza
Date:
have you seen this ling on Postgres Install?

http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

----

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: library path

Date:
"SunMie Won" <sunmiewon@yahoo.com> writes:
> Thanks for your response. This is the first and only install of PG on this
> box, so that sounds a bit strange. I have no other installations the check
> for, unless one comes standard with Red Hat 6.0.

One does, I believe.  I still think you are invoking the wrong copy of
initdb, probably because the old one is first on your PATH.
Try "which initdb".

            regards, tom lane

Re: library path

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Friday 19 October 2001 01:09 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> "SunMie Won" <sunmiewon@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Thanks for your response. This is the first and only install of PG on
> > this box, so that sounds a bit strange. I have no other installations the
> > check for, unless one comes standard with Red Hat 6.0.

> One does, I believe.  I still think you are invoking the wrong copy of
> initdb, probably because the old one is first on your PATH.
> Try "which initdb".

RH 6.0 shipped with PostgreSQL 6.4.2.  An 'rpm -qa|grep postgresql' will find
it if installed.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: library path

From
"SunMie Won"
Date:
Thanks for your response. This is the first and only install of PG on this
box, so that sounds a bit strange. I have no other installations the check
for, unless one comes standard with Red Hat 6.0.

I have updated the PGLIB setting (to /usr/local/pgsql/lib) and now get this
message:
* * *
initdb does not find the file
'/usr/local/pgsql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source'
-
This means you have identified an invalid PGLIB directory, etc.
* * *
I checked in the PGLIB directory and only see files that start with libpq*,
libe*, or libpq*. Am I missing any files?

Thanks in advance-

SunMie Won
sunmiewon@yahoo.com
415.336.3382 cell