locale and german umlauts

From
Wolfgang Winkler
Date:
Hi!

I know that someone had problems before with the upper() and lower()
functions with german umlauts or polish signs. So could please anyone who
solved the problem tell me what to do to get the upper() and lower()
functions working properly?

I compiled postgres 7.1.2 with
./configure \
--with-tcl \
--with-java \
--enable-locale
make && make install
initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

I set

export LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO8859-1
export LC_COLLATE=de_DE.ISO8859-1

and make a database with

createdb test.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Re: locale and german umlauts

From
Nishad Prakash
Date:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Wolfgang Winkler wrote:

> export LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO8859-1
> export LC_COLLATE=de_DE.ISO8859-1
>
> and make a database with
>
> createdb test.
>
> Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Two things that could help:
1) Make sure the locale has been set before starting the postmaster
2) Try createdb -E <encoding> test

Nishad
--
"Underneath the concrete, the dream is still alive" -- Talking Heads

Re: locale and german umlauts

From
Nabil Sayegh
Date:
On 07 Aug 2001 10:53:45 -0700, Nishad Prakash wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Wolfgang Winkler wrote:
>
> > export LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO8859-1
> > export LC_COLLATE=de_DE.ISO8859-1

If possible, you should use LC_COLLATE=POSIX
everything else is AFAIR really slow.

> 1) Make sure the locale has been set before starting the postmaster
> 2) Try createdb -E <encoding> test

1.1) set PGDATESTYLE=GERMAN before starting postmaster

--
 Nabil Sayegh