pg_dump doesn't handle CREATE FUNCTIONs well

From
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Date:
Rainer Mager (rmager@vgkk.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
pg_dump doesn't handle CREATE FUNCTIONs well

Long Description
We have a table (table_A) that has a constraint on it that uses a custom function (func_B), which references a
differenttable (table_C). When we do a pg_dump all of the table and function definitions are created correctly but in
thewrong order.

The dump has the items in this order: table_C, table_A, func_B
The problem is that the creation of table_A requires the existence of func_B. Therefore the dump should have dumped
thingsin this order: table_C, func_B, table_A.

This is reasonably easy to fix by hand because we only have one such situation and the trail is easy to trace. A more
complicatedsituation could be a pain to fix by hand.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report

Re: pg_dump doesn't handle CREATE FUNCTIONs well

Date:
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:
> pg_dump doesn't handle CREATE FUNCTIONs well

Any particular version to mention with that?

AFAIK this is fixed in the current release (7.1.2)

            regards, tom lane

RE: pg_dump doesn't handle CREATE FUNCTIONs well

From
"Rainer Mager"
Date:
I saw the problem in 2 different (but mirrored and therefore identical)
7.1.2 databases. The data was created in the db before 7.1.2 but it has
since been upgraded and the dump was via 7.1.2. Was the bug in the dump code
or did it have to do with db creation?

Thanks,

--Rainer

Date:
"Rainer Mager" <rmager@vgkk.com> writes:
> ... the dump was via 7.1.2.

Oh?  Then it'd be a still-extant pg_dump bug.  May we see a complete,
reproducible example?

            regards, tom lane