socket slowdown using libpg and 7.1.1 ?

From
Chris Storah
Date:
Are there any problems with 7.1.1 when using libpg and TCP/IP socket
connections?
I have three machines, two with 7.1.1 and the other with 7.0.3.

The 7.1.1 machines are 40 times slower than the 7.0.3 machine at returning
the result sets.

I haven't included a query example/data as it is happening on all select
queries.
Running native psql is fine and returns the results in a comparative time,
which points at the TCP socket side of things? All machines are on the same
100Meg LAN, so networking is okay

Do you need more details?
If so, what logs etc. are helpful?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: socket slowdown using libpg and 7.1.1 ?

Date:
Chris Storah <cstorah@emis-support.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Are there any problems with 7.1.1 when using libpg and TCP/IP socket
> connections?

No one else has reported any such problem.

> Running native psql is fine and returns the results in a comparative time,
> which points at the TCP socket side of things?

Are you sure you are talking to the same server in both cases?

            regards, tom lane

Re: socket slowdown using libpg and 7.1.1 ?

Date:
Chris Storah <cstorah@emis-support.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Seems to be only when cursors are used

Offhand I know of no reason why cursors would be slower than in 7.0.*.
Please provide a self-contained example ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: socket slowdown using libpg and 7.1.1 ?

From
Chris Storah
Date:
managed to get a bit more info...

Seems to be only when cursors are used - rewrote the code to do a PQexec and
fetch the tuples and it is faster than 7.0.3 which is good :)

I will hack about with the client code tonight to see if I can narrow it
down more.

Chris