postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz != postgresql-7.0.3-2.src.rpm

From
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Date:
Kevin Cole (kjcole@gri.gallaudet.edu) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz != postgresql-7.0.3-2.src.rpm

Long Description
I'm trying to use D'Arcy J.M. Cain's python interface to PostgreSQL.
He told me that the file that I'm using "pgsqldb.py" isn't his (in
spite of the fact his name is on it). Instead, he says that I should
have something called "pgdb.py" and that I should rebuild all of
PostGreSQL from your sources.  I downloaded the source RPM and
rebuilt it.  I ended up with exactly the same thing I had before.
So, if Mr. Cain is correct, then you have a mismatch between what's
in postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz and what's in postgresql-7.0.3-2.src.rpm.
(I *REALLY* would prefer to stick with RPM rather than compile from
tarballs, cuz I like taking full advantage of RPM's database.)

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report

Re: postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz != postgresql-7.0.3-2.src.rpm

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org wrote:
> So, if Mr. Cain is correct, then you have a mismatch between what's
> in postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz and what's in postgresql-7.0.3-2.src.rpm.
> (I *REALLY* would prefer to stick with RPM rather than compile from
> tarballs, cuz I like taking full advantage of RPM's database.)

The postgresql-7.0.3-2.src.rpm contains the exact same tarball as is
distributed as postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz.  HOWEVER, the python build
process for the RPM is quite different from that of the python
makefile.  Thomas Lockhart did it -- and I haven't changed it much.

D'Arcy, can you take a look at what the RPM does and tell me how far off
the mark I am, as I am not a Python user?  If you want the exact
incantationsI'm using to build the client, I can provide that
information.

But, the source code is the same.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: postgresql-7.0.3.tar.gz != postgresql-7.0.3-2.src.rpm

From
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Date:
Thus spake Kevin Cole
> I'm cc'ing the pgsql-bugs address, since I'm starting to think it's
> their problem.
>
> It appears that the folks at www.postgresql.org don't know about pgdb.py
> either.  Or, rather, not consistently. Apparently, the 7.0.3-2 source
> tarball doesn't equal the 7.0.3-2 source RPM.
>
> I just downloaded the latest PostgreSQL source RPM (7.0.3-2) from
> www.postgresql.org and rebuilt everything.  (From that source, it built
> 10 binary RPM's: the client, server, development stuff, perl, python,
> tcl and tk, test, odbc, and jdbc packages.)  When finished, I ended up
> with exactly what I had before: pgsqldb.py et al.  No pgdb.py.

I'm not sure what's in the RPM (I run NetBSD) but the PostgreSQL sources
for PyGreSQL are the horse's mouth.  The official development tree moved
into PygreSQL about a month ago.