odbc bug?

From
Lonnie Cumberland
Date:
Hello,

I have been trying for a VERY LONG time to get PostgreSQL 7.0.x to talk
to various odbc managers such as unixODBC and OpenLink iODBC which is
the latest.

The problem is that no matter what I try, I am getting the errors that
it cannot connect to the database server.

My development system is a PIII 500Mhz running Mandrake Linux 7.2 and I
have installed the Postgresql 7.0.3 mdk rpms and also Postgresql-odbc
7.0.3-8mdk.rpm as well with the drivers.

With OpenLink iODBC version 2.50-3, my configuration files are:

odbc.ini
;
; odbc.ini
;
[ODBC Data Sources]
OpenLink = OpenLink (MT)

[PostgreSQL]
Description = PostgreSQL driver for Linux
Driver = PostgreSQL
Trace = Yes
TraceFile = /tmp/sql.log
Host = localhost
ServerType = PostgreSQL
FetchBufferSize = 99
UserName =
Password =
Database =
ServerOptions =
ConnectOptions =
Options =
ReadOnly = no
Port = 5432
;Protocol = 6.4
;RowVersioning = No
;ShowSystemTables = No
;ShowOidColumn = No
;FakeOidIndex = No
;ConnSettings =

and odbcinst.ini
[PostgreSQL]
Description             = PostgreSQL driver for Linux
Driver          = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
Setup           = /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
FileUsage               = 1

I have tried to simply run the "postgresql" script located in the
/etc/init.d directory and also have tried to run:

su -l postgres -c "postmaster -i -d 2 -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data "

but in every case it seems to be the same thing and I am not sure if
your drivers are working.

My goal is to use PosegreSQL 7.0.3 with MetaHTML to interface to some
HTML code for our site being developed.

Can you please help???

Best Regards,
Lonnie Cumberland

Re: odbc bug?

Date:
Lonnie Cumberland <Lonnie_Cumberland@yahoo.com> writes:
> The problem is that no matter what I try, I am getting the errors that
> it cannot connect to the database server.

Could we see the exact text of the error message?

Also, what if anything appears in the postmaster's stderr log?

            regards, tom lane

Re: odbc bug?

From
Lonnie Cumberland
Date:
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.

if I use the "odbctest" to see if my program is there then I get one thing and
if I use "odbctest DNS=PostgreSQL", I get something else

[root@Treazurac samples]# ./odbctest
OpenLink ODBC Demonstration program
This program shows an interactive SQL processor

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): DNS=PostgreSQL
[iODBC][Driver Manager]Dialog failed, SQLSTATE=IM008

Have a nice day.
[root@Treazurac samples]# ./odbctest DNS=PostgreSQL
OpenLink ODBC Demonstration program
This program shows an interactive SQL processor

[iODBC][Driver Manager]Dialog failed, SQLSTATE=IM008

Have a nice day.

My odbc.ini is:
;
; odbc.ini
;
[...]

and my odbcinst.ini is
[PostgreSQL]
Description = PostgreSQL driver for Linux
Driver = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
Setup = /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
FileUsage = 1

The MetaHTML is located on the same Linux machine as this odbc manager also.

I do not seem to have this ./oplrqb from ~/openlink/bin as I got these drivers
from

libiodbc-2.50-3.i386-glibc2.rpm
libiodbc-devel-2.50-3.i386-glibc2.rpm

And have installed the PostgreSQL 7.0.3 from the RPM's on their site along with
the PostgreSQL ODBC 7.0.3 drivers from their site as well.

I started the Broker in two ways with the same results:

I ran the standard /etc/init.d/postgresql start daemon and I also tried another
way when things did not communicate by:

su -l postgres -c "postmaster -i -d 2 -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data "

Which also seemed not to communicate with the odbc manager as well. I checked
for communications by using the odbctest and MetaHTML applications along with
one other one which also gave me:

[root@Treazurac tests]# ./scroll PostgreSQL
Connecting to PostgreSQL...
Failed to connect to datasource: [iODBC][Driver Manager]Dialog failed

I am at a loss as to the problem and how to fix it.

Best Regards,
Lonnie