--enable-locale doesn't work

From
werner
Date:
I'm running the 7.0 beta 3. It seems like queries that use german
characters like ü,ä,ö or ß don't work with the ~*
Operator (case insensetive regex). It only works with case sensetive
queries. So the configure option
--enable-locale doesn't have any influence.

Re: --enable-locale doesn't work

Date:
werner <werner@gefi.at> writes:
> I'm running the 7.0 beta 3. It seems like queries that use german
> characters like �,�,� or � don't work with the ~*
> Operator (case insensetive regex). It only works with case sensetive
> queries. So the configure option
> --enable-locale doesn't have any influence.

This isn't enough information.  What exactly do you mean by "doesn't
work"?  What query did you issue, what result did you get, what did
you expect to get?  And which locale are you using?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Re: --enable-locale doesn't work

From
Oleg Broytmann
Date:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
> werner <werner@gefi.at> writes:
> > I'm running the 7.0 beta 3. It seems like queries that use german
> > characters like ü,ä,ö or ß don't work with the ~*
> > Operator (case insensetive regex). It only works with case sensetive
> > queries. So the configure option
> > --enable-locale doesn't have any influence.
>
> This isn't enough information.  What exactly do you mean by "doesn't
> work"?  What query did you issue, what result did you get, what did
> you expect to get?  And which locale are you using?

   Just tested beta3 - working like a charm, as usual :) Are you sure you
have correct locale settings? Look into src/test/locale directory; there
you'll find locale test for some locales, including de_DE.ISO-8859-1. Run
the test (make all test-de_DE.ISO-8859-1). Watch the results - is your
locale ok?
   If you are sure your locale is Ok, but still unsatisfied with locale
test - send your patches to me, please.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann    http://members.xoom.com/phd2.1/    phd2@earthling.net

Re: --enable-locale doesn't work

From
werner
Date:
I found a solution for the problem. But first I try to explain a little
bit better what the poblem was. When I
searched for a text that contained foreign characters (ä,ö,ü,etc.) the
query found no matching records.

for example:

create table mytesttable(myattribute text);

insert into mytesttable values('FRÜHLING');

select * from mytesttable where myattribute~*'frühling';

The query finds no matching records. But it works if the "special
characters" are the same case (i.e. "frühling",
"Frühling","FRüHLING",etc.)
(frühling is the german word for spring :-) btw)

In postgresql versions before 7.x  the parameter --enable-locale was
necessary to search for these
characters.  Now I found out that in 7.0 the parameter --enable-recode is
necessary.  The manual says that
this parameter is for cyrillic recode support only. But the german
character set ISO-8859-1 (I use) is not
cyrillic. So I was a little confused. I'm not sure what the diffrence
between --enable-locale and
--enable-recode is. Anyway, it seems like --enable-recode is necessary to
make a search on attributes that use german character sets.

PS.: I'm afraid that  if you don't have a german character set, you can't
really read this message, because the "special characters" are not
translated. The character "ü" should be shown as a small u with 2 points
above.

Tom Lane wrote:

> werner <werner@gefi.at> writes:
> > I'm running the 7.0 beta 3. It seems like queries that use german
> > characters like ü,ä,ö or ß don't work with the ~*
> > Operator (case insensetive regex). It only works with case sensetive
> > queries. So the configure option
> > --enable-locale doesn't have any influence.
>
> This isn't enough information.  What exactly do you mean by "doesn't
> work"?  What query did you issue, what result did you get, what did
> you expect to get?  And which locale are you using?
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Re: --enable-locale doesn't work

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Works like a charm here. Be sure to set the locale-relevant environment
variables (e.g., LC_ALL) in the environment of the postmaster.