Suitable response to Oracle?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
recent letter in Russia?

  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg

They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)

+ Justin

Re: Suitable response to Oracle?

Date:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:43:14PM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
> Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
> recent letter in Russia?
>
>   http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
>   http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg
>
> They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
> to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)

I like the second one.  :-)

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Date:
On 22 Mar 2016, at 20:58, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:43:14PM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
>> recent letter in Russia?
>>
>>  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
>>  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg
>>
>> They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
>> to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)
>
> I like the second one.  :-)

Thanks. :)

Open to other wording idea too.  They were just the first
best two versions on the spur of the moment.

+ Justin

Re: Suitable response to Oracle?

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 23/03/16 09:43, Justin Clift wrote:
> Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
> recent letter in Russia?
>
>    http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
>    http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg
>
> They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
> to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)
>
> + Justin

The Titanic had 4 funnels!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_funnel_liner

 From memory, when the "Java 2" branding appeared (I think it was
jdk1.2, but I may be wrong), SUN initially used an image of a steamship
with 4 red funnels on the Java home page, but they stopped after the
disaster film "Titanic' was released.

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Suitable response to Oracle?

From
robert7390@comcast.net
Date:
+1 :-)

Robert Bernier
206-407-9298
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:43:14PM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
>> recent letter in Russia?
>>
>> http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
>> http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg
>>
>> They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
>> to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)
>
> I like the second one. :-)

Thanks. :)

Open to other wording idea too. They were just the first
best two versions on the spur of the moment.

+ Justin

Re: Suitable response to Oracle?

From
Oleg Bartunov

Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
recent letter in Russia?

  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg

They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)

Actually,  some companies, which was thinking about migration to postgres, asked us to reply to Oracle letter.  I'd appreciate any help.

Date:
On 22 Mar 2016, at 21:16, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> On 23/03/16 09:43, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
>> recent letter in Russia?
>>
>>   http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
>>   http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg
>>
>> They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
>> to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)
>>
> The Titanic had 4 funnels!
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_funnel_liner
>
> From memory, when the "Java 2" branding appeared (I think it was jdk1.2, but I may be wrong), SUN initially used an
imageof a steamship with 4 red funnels on the Java home page, but they stopped after the disaster film "Titanic' was
released.

More funnel added. :)

Date:
On 22 Mar 2016, at 21:28, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually,  some companies, which was thinking about migration to postgres, asked us to reply to Oracle letter.  I'd
appreciateany help.

Do you have thoughts on what we can do to assist? :)

Date:
On 22 Mar 2016, at 20:58, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:43:14PM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
>> recent letter in Russia?
>>
>>  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
>>  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg
>>
>> They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
>> to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)
>
> I like the second one.  :-)

Apparently this is the correct Russian translation version:

  http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02ru.jpg

Hoping that's not some different text I've been trolled with. :)

+ Justin

Re: Suitable response to Oracle?

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Oleg Bartunov schrieb am 22.03.2016 um 22:28:
> Actually,  some companies, which was thinking about migration to postgres, asked us to reply to Oracle letter.  I'd
appreciateany help.

You could point out the statements were Oracle is plain wrong.

> PostgreSQL has no recovery manager.

While it's true that there there is no such tool built-in, tools like barman or pg_rman are on-par with RMAN

> Multitenant allows to consolidate multiple databases into a single container

Postgres supported multiple databases in a single container ages before Oracle was even thinking about doing that

> Active Data Guard

Postgres streaming replication with a hot standby is exactly the same thing

> Tools to optimize client connections to the database, connection pools, various types of client drivers and
libraries.

Also completely wrong. There are several pooling tools available (pgBouncer, pgPool). There are sever ODBC, JDBC and
.Netdrivers

> No materialized views

Postgres _does_ have MVIEWS (although they lack the ability for incremental refresh and there is no query-rewrite
magic)

> No Advanced Compression

Postgres compresses values out of the box. While storage might not be as efficient (Oracle's advanced compression
includesde-duping) my experience is that _accessing_ the compressed (text) data is much more efficient in Postgres
comparedto Oracle.

> Polyglot Persistence - support for semi-structured (JSON, XML) and unstructured (Key/Value) data

Postgres had a key/value store usable within SQL long before Oracle did. Oracle's key/value store is a branded
BerkelyDBand can not be used inside SQL statements. Postgres also had JSON support earlier than Oracle did. And the
JSONdocuments can be indexed more efficiently in Postgres.
While Postgres does have XML support, Oracle's implementation has some more features.

Re: Suitable response to Oracle?

From
Korry Douglas
Date:
There's always this:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02372/oracle_2372737k.jpg

I particularly like the guys hanging on for dear life.

                 -- Korry

> On 22 Mar 2016, at 21:16, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
>> On 23/03/16 09:43, Justin Clift wrote:
>>> Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
>>> recent letter in Russia?
>>>
>>>    http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
>>>    http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg
>>>
>>> They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
>>> to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)
>>>
>> The Titanic had 4 funnels!
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_funnel_liner
>>
>>  From memory, when the "Java 2" branding appeared (I think it was jdk1.2, but I may be wrong), SUN initially used an
imageof a steamship with 4 red funnels on the Java home page, but they stopped after the disaster film "Titanic' was
released.
> More funnel added. :)
>
> + Justin

Re: Suitable response to Oracle?

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 5:58 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:43:14PM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Would something like these be suitable in response to Oracle's
>> recent letter in Russia?
>>
>>   http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle01.jpg
>>   http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg
>>
>> They'd need the text translated to Russian, but that's trivial
>> to do (cut-n-paste) if you can email it to me. :)
>
> I like the second one.  :-)

You could as well append "That's the open source way!" on the first
one. The second one is really good.
--
Michael