Need a better name for MinMax indexes

From
Josh Berkus
All:

One of the features for 9.5 will likely be "minmax" indexes, which are
indexes which index only the upper and lower bounds of each data page,
making for a very compact index ... like 100MB for a 100GB table.

The working name for these are "minmax" indexes which is not very
compelling and unlikely to reach users for how cool and useful they are.
 Suggestions on an alternate name?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Need a better name for MinMax indexes

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Jun 17, 2014, at 5:36 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> One of the features for 9.5 will likely be "minmax" indexes, which are
> indexes which index only the upper and lower bounds of each data page,
> making for a very compact index ... like 100MB for a 100GB table.
>
> The working name for these are "minmax" indexes which is not very
> compelling and unlikely to reach users for how cool and useful they are.
> Suggestions on an alternate name?

At the risk of sounding trite and clichéd: "big data index" or "big table index" - after all, it is an index that you
wantto use on a big table.

Jonathan

Date:
On 06/17/2014 02:43 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2014, at 5:36 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> One of the features for 9.5 will likely be "minmax" indexes, which are
>> indexes which index only the upper and lower bounds of each data page,
>> making for a very compact index ... like 100MB for a 100GB table.
>>
>> The working name for these are "minmax" indexes which is not very
>> compelling and unlikely to reach users for how cool and useful they are.
>> Suggestions on an alternate name?
>
> At the risk of sounding trite and clichéd: "big data index" or "big table index" - after all, it is an index that you
wantto use on a big table.

Except that these likely aren't going to be the only "big data indexes"
we ever have.

Maybe "Compressed Range Indexes"?  Pretty wordy, though.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Need a better name for MinMax indexes

From
robert7390@comcast.net
Date:
If this is going to be the start of a new type of index then maybe that's how you market it ie. part of a suite, or
class,of optimized indexes.

Robert Bernier

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
On 06/17/2014 02:43 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2014, at 5:36 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> One of the features for 9.5 will likely be "minmax" indexes, which are
>> indexes which index only the upper and lower bounds of each data page,
>> making for a very compact index ... like 100MB for a 100GB table.
>>
>> The working name for these are "minmax" indexes which is not very
>> compelling and unlikely to reach users for how cool and useful they are.
>> Suggestions on an alternate name?
>
> At the risk of sounding trite and clichéd: "big data index" or "big table index" - after all, it is an index that you
wantto use on a big table.

Except that these likely aren't going to be the only "big data indexes"
we ever have.

Maybe "Compressed Range Indexes"? Pretty wordy, though.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Need a better name for MinMax indexes

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
Why not simply call it "range index"?  That's all a min-max pair is anyway, a
range/interval definition.  Simple and easy to say.  Also, I have no problem
with "minmax index" personally.  I think its best to name this after what it is
rather than some non-descriptive but marketing name, or at least I really DON'T
like "big data/table index" etc. -- Darren Duncan