No awards?

From
Josh Kupershmidt
Date:
Hi all,

Our Awards page is a mite depressing currently:
  http://www.postgresql.org/about/awards/

as it gives the impression that the project has stagnated, since we
have no awards listed for the past 4+ years. For a comparison, here is
MySQL's equivalent page:
  http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/awards/

I tried looking around for any awards we might have won in the past
few years, and came up largely empty-handed. I did notice we were
recently in the "Bossie Awards":
  http://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/65089/bossie-awards-2012-the-best-open-source-databases-202354#slide4

perhaps that could suffice for our page.. or does anyone know of other
awards we could claim since 2008?

Josh

Re: No awards?

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Josh

If you want to win awards you need to dedicate someone to chasing them.

It is almost a full-time job!

Rob Napier

On 12/10/2012, at 5:55 AM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our Awards page is a mite depressing currently:
>  http://www.postgresql.org/about/awards/
>
> as it gives the impression that the project has stagnated, since we
> have no awards listed for the past 4+ years. For a comparison, here is
> MySQL's equivalent page:
>  http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/awards/
>
> I tried looking around for any awards we might have won in the past
> few years, and came up largely empty-handed. I did notice we were
> recently in the "Bossie Awards":
>  http://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/65089/bossie-awards-2012-the-best-open-source-databases-202354#slide4
>
> perhaps that could suffice for our page.. or does anyone know of other
> awards we could claim since 2008?
>
> Josh

Re: No awards?

From
Josh Kupershmidt
Date:
[Sorry for the delay.. somehow this message just came through for me]

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> If you want to win awards you need to dedicate someone to chasing them.

That's part of it, I'm sure. Unfortunately, a lot of the awards MySQL
brags about are "reader's choice awards", e.g. from LinuxQuestions.org
or Linux Journal. And it seems like the trend has been to delegate
such decision making to the users -- LinuxJournal used to have an
"Editor's Choice Awards" which Postgres won back in 2006, but sadly it
seems this was discontinued in favor of the Reader's Choice Awards the
year after (?). And since there are more users on MySQL, they win
handily there.

Josh

Re: No awards?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> That's part of it, I'm sure. Unfortunately, a lot of the awards MySQL
> brags about are "reader's choice awards", e.g. from LinuxQuestions.org
> or Linux Journal. And it seems like the trend has been to delegate
> such decision making to the users -- LinuxJournal used to have an
> "Editor's Choice Awards" which Postgres won back in 2006, but sadly it
> seems this was discontinued in favor of the Reader's Choice Awards the
> year after (?). And since there are more users on MySQL, they win
> handily there.

It's actually not a matter of "more users".  These are popularity
contests, and the thing which usually wins is the one where someone
organizes a campaign to get reader votes in.

Back in 2004 FirebirdDB swept readers/users choice awards on several
publications/sites through a really determined get-out-the-vote
campaign.  Despite never having more than 5% of the market.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.