Chris Mair
Date:
>> Links, post 'em here:
>>
>> http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/cwdn/2012/09/where-nasa-and-instagram-get-their-open-source-databases.html
>
> And:
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/PostgresSQL-9-2-works-faster-and-smarter-1703901.html

And the H-Online's German parent site:

http://www.heise.de/ix/meldung/PostgreSQL-9-2-verbraucht-weniger-Strom-arbeitet-schneller-1676718.html

Alvar Freude and Andres Freund are explaining stuff in the comments (and
getting their comments all-green -> good :)

Bye,
Chris.

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Josh Berkus

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 07:40 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Links, post 'em here:

(EDB sponsored, it seems)
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/262107/postgres_92_invites_largescale_enterprise_deployment.html

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Date:
On 9/10/12 5:33 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 07:40 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Links, post 'em here:
>
> (EDB sponsored, it seems)
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/262107/postgres_92_invites_largescale_enterprise_deployment.html

Yeah, that one came in through EDB's PR agency.  It's good coverage,
regardless.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Santiago Zarate
In spanish: http://softlibre.barrapunto.com/softlibre/12/09/11/1418214.shtml

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 6:46 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
> Le 10/09/2012 22:50, Josh Berkus a écrit :

>>> IT World: http://www.itworld.com/big-datahadoop/294314/postgresql-92-cranks-relational-data-eleven
>>
>> More:
>>
>> http://www.databasejournal.com/features/postgresql/postgresql-9-2-open-source-database.html
>>
>> In French:
>> http://www.journaldunet.com/developpeur/outils/postgresql-9-2-0912.shtml
>>
>> I like that "met le turbo".
>>

> :-)
>
> More French :
>
> http://www.toolinux.com/Sortie-officielle-de-PostgreSQL-9
> http://www.silicon.fr/postgresql-92-performant-flexible-78403.html
> http://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-postgresql-9-2

http://www.developpez.com/actu/47388/Sortie-de-PostgreSQL-9-2-en-version-finale-performances-et-extensibilite-accrues-flexibilite-orientee-developpeurs/

Santiago Zarate
Consultoria de Software || Software Consulting
  +(507) 64271684
  Skype: santiago-ve
  BB PIN: 23929BFE
  santiago@zarate.net.ve

"La mejor forma de hacer que un adolecente lea un libro es vetandolo.
Cuando alguien que ostenta una figura de autoridad dice, 'Danos tu
libro', creo que esos estudiantes piensan 'Debe haber algo poderoso en
esas palabras'." - Erin Gruwell

"The best way to get a teenager to read a book is to ban it. When
someone who is a daunting authority figure says, 'Give us your book',
I think these students [thought], 'There must be something powerful in
these words'. " - Erin Gruwell

Date:
On 9/11/12 10:17 AM, Santiago Zarate wrote:
> In spanish: http://softlibre.barrapunto.com/softlibre/12/09/11/1418214.shtml
>
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 6:46 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:

>>> More:
>>>
>>> http://www.databasejournal.com/features/postgresql/postgresql-9-2-open-source-database.html
>>>
>>> In French:
>>> http://www.journaldunet.com/developpeur/outils/postgresql-9-2-0912.shtml
>>>
>>> I like that "met le turbo".
>>>

>> :-)
>>
>> More French :
>>
>> http://www.toolinux.com/Sortie-officielle-de-PostgreSQL-9
>> http://www.silicon.fr/postgresql-92-performant-flexible-78403.html
>> http://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-postgresql-9-2

http://www.developpez.com/actu/47388/Sortie-de-PostgreSQL-9-2-en-version-finale-performances-et-extensibilite-accrues-flexibilite-orientee-developpeurs/

More English coverage:

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=13564
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/PostgresSQL-9-2-works-faster-and-smarter-1703901.html

Also, the IDG article seems to have been picked up by all of their
publications (Computerworld, CIO, etc.), so it's getting a LOT of play.
 Yay.

--Josh Berkus

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Satoshi Nagayasu
Date:
2012/09/12 2:38, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 9/11/12 10:17 AM, Santiago Zarate wrote:
>> In spanish: http://softlibre.barrapunto.com/softlibre/12/09/11/1418214.shtml

>>> :-)
>>>
>>> More French :
>>>
>>> http://www.toolinux.com/Sortie-officielle-de-PostgreSQL-9
>>> http://www.silicon.fr/postgresql-92-performant-flexible-78403.html
>>> http://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-postgresql-9-2

http://www.developpez.com/actu/47388/Sortie-de-PostgreSQL-9-2-en-version-finale-performances-et-extensibilite-accrues-flexibilite-orientee-developpeurs/

> More English coverage:
>
> http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=13564
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/PostgresSQL-9-2-works-faster-and-smarter-1703901.html
>
> Also, the IDG article seems to have been picked up by all of their
> publications (Computerworld, CIO, etc.), so it's getting a LOT of play.
>   Yay.
>
> --Josh Berkus

In Japanese:
http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/news/201209/11/postgresql.html
http://sourceforge.jp/magazine/12/09/10/2358217

--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi.nagayasu@gmail.com>

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:

<damien@dalibo.info> wrote:

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/cwdn/2012/09/where-nasa-and-instagram-get
> -their-open-source-databases.html

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/PostgresSQL-9-2-works-faster-and-smart
> er-1703901.html

http://www.itworld.com/big-datahadoop/294314/postgresql-92-cranks-relational-
> data-eleven

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/postgresql/postgresql-9-2-open-source
> -database.html

http://www.journaldunet.com/developpeur/outils/postgresql-9-2-0912.shtml

http://www.silicon.fr/postgresql-92-performant-flexible-78403.html

http://www.developpez.com/actu/47388/Sortie-de-PostgreSQL-9-2-en-version-fina

le-performances-et-extensibilite-accrues-flexibilite-orientee-developpeurs/

>> More English coverage:
>>
>> http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=13564

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/PostgresSQL-9-2-works-faster-and-smart
> er-1703901.html
>>
>> Also, the IDG article seems to have been picked up by all of their
>> publications (Computerworld, CIO, etc.), so it's getting a LOT of
play.
>>   Yay.
>>
>> --Josh Berkus
>>

> In Japanese:
> http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/news/201209/11/postgresql.html
> http://sourceforge.jp/magazine/12/09/10/2358217

English:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/09/10/2220202/postgresql-92-out-with-greatly-improved-scalability

-Kevin

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
It appears the mood is changing out there in database world and not just slashdot:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/09/10/2220202/postgresql-92-out-with-greatly-improved-scalability

I don't think I've ever seen this much positive feeling about postgres.

Maybe it's the industry getting tired of Oracle, maybe it's NOSQL letting down one too many people.

Somebody wrote that a lot of new users were discovering postgres, looks like there's something to it.

Robert Bernier
    rbernier@mediosystems.com
    http://mediosystems.com

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 15:01 -0700, Robert Bernier wrote:
> I don't think I've ever seen this much positive feeling about
> postgres.
>
> Maybe it's the industry getting tired of Oracle, maybe it's NOSQL
> letting down one too many people.

Both -- also, the success of Open Source in all other areas is helping
us.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 11/09/12 12:38, Josh Berkus wrote:
On 9/10/12 5:33 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 07:40 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
Links, post 'em here:
(EDB sponsored, it seems)
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/262107/postgres_92_invites_largescale_enterprise_deployment.html
Yeah, that one came in through EDB's PR agency.  It's good coverage,
regardless.

Slashdot:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/09/10/2220202/postgresql-92-out-with-greatly-improved-scalability
[...]
The PostgreSQL project announced the release of
PostgreSQL 9.2 today. The headliner:

> "With the addition of linear scalability to 64 cores,
>index-only scans and reductions in CPU power
>consumption, PostgreSQL 9.2 has significantly
>improved scalability and developer flexibility
>for the most demanding workloads. ... Up to
>350,000 read queries per second (more than
>4X faster) ... Index-only scans for data
>warehousing queries (2–20X faster) ... Up
>to 14,000 data writes per second (5X faster)"

Additionally, there's now a JSON type (including the
ability to retrieve row results in JSON directly
from the database) ala the XML type (although
lacking a broad set of utility functions). Minor,
but probably a welcome relief to those who need
them, 9.1 adds range restricted types. For the gory
details, see the what's new page, or the full
release notes.
[...]

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
On 9/11/12, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> On 11/09/12 12:38, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 9/10/12 5:33 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> (EDB sponsored, it seems)
>>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/262107/postgres_92_invites_largescale_enterprise_deployment.html
>> Yeah, that one came in through EDB's PR agency.  It's good coverage,
>> regardless.
>>
> Slashdot:
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/09/10/2220202/postgresql-92-out-with-greatly-improved-scalability
> [...]
> The PostgreSQL project announced the release of
> PostgreSQL 9.2 today. The headliner:
>
>  > "With the addition of linear scalability to 64 cores,
>  >index-only scans and reductions in CPU power
>  >consumption, PostgreSQL 9.2 has significantly
>  >improved scalability and developer flexibility
>  >for the most demanding workloads. ... Up to
>  >350,000 read queries per second (more than
>  >4X faster) ... Index-only scans for data
>  >warehousing queries (2–20X faster) ... Up
>  >to 14,000 data writes per second (5X faster)"
>
> Additionally, there's now a JSON type (including the
> ability to retrieve row results in JSON directly
> from the database) ala the XML type (although
> lacking a broad set of utility functions). Minor,
> but probably a welcome relief to those who need
> them, 9.1 adds range restricted types. For the gory
> details, see the what's new page, or the full
> release notes.
> [...]

Yeah.

Many web developers here in India are using PostgreSQL now.Especially
after web developers discovered that Django is using PostgreSQL,they
have been really wanting to try it.

Atri

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Why new users come to PostgreSQL (IMHO)

From
Jean-Paul Argudo
Date:

Le 12/09/2012 00:01, Robert Bernier a écrit :
> It appears the mood is changing out there in database world and not
> just slashdot:
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/09/10/2220202/postgresql-92-out-with-greatly-improved-scalability
>

> I don't think I've ever seen this much positive feeling about
> postgres.

+1

> Maybe it's the industry getting tired of Oracle,

They do. I see here a lots of migrations or professionals willing to
do so. And that's not only on the public sector, and most of the time,
for critical matters.

It's most of the time due to Oracle's princing and sales methods.
PostgreSQL is, at first, judged like a "cheap" database.

Once the customers use PostgreSQL, they stay with it for all other
reasons, like:
* not having to ask companies'buyers for more licences
* flexibility
* extensibility
* not-a-blackbox (usefull logs, and nothing like "call metalink if you
wanna know about a023c231f or ORA-600 stuff)
* extensive, comprehensive and usefull documentation
* etc (we all know here that list)

.. and they understand that coming to PostgreSQL is nothing cheap,
just because:
* training costs
* consultancy costs
* migration costs (when needed, most of the time, they let version N
die an re-code version N+1 with PostgreSQL)
* support costs (when the community support is not sufficient in terms
of SLA for example (yes it's not about knowledge but more like insurance))

But they still stay with PostgreSQL because costs tends to lower with
time, when they do feel stronger with PostgreSQL (knowledge++,
external help--), and, first, because all the advantages it has! :-)

> maybe it's NOSQL letting down one too many people.

Thats not what prevails IMHO. Or should I say "not yet". Yes, NOSQL is
on the cutting-edge now and lots of people **talk** about it. Few
implement it really (I didn't say "nobody", I have examples of great
usages of NOSQL where it is a real solution to a specific need).

So my bet here is that PostgreSQL arrives really on the right time
(marketting/sales would say the «time to market» is good).

Now our users will have the choice to NOT use another rdbms
(NOSQL=rdbms, really? :) to do some NOSQL, since PostgreSQL can, at
least, let them start some NOSQL-ish applications without installing
anything else.

> Somebody wrote that a lot of new users were discovering postgres,
> looks like there's something to it.

This is the result of many great efforts from different people. It
wasn't easy and took long time to be achieved... Thanks to everybody
on this list for that:

1/ IMHO, all the PUGS, national or multinational PostgreSQL usergroups
do there a really GREAT job. I participated in lots of pgDays and
similar meetings, and talked with lots of newcomers. Those events
bring PostgreSQL under the light, where it has to be. I really hope
we'll continue having some "newbie" or "newcomer" tracks/talks in
those events, since quite a lot of people coming to those events don't
know even what PostgreSQL is capable of !

2/ Also, translators do a real great job. A RDBMS is really something
technicaly difficult to understand. If you add the language barrier to
it, it becomes completely unreachable for lots of users. So, with
translators doing such a great job translating "the" doc and doing so
much great articles, this lowers the difficulty, since the technical
problems are explained in the mother tongue of the newcomer.

3/ Companies around PostgreSQL do a lot of professional communications
on the internet and magazines, etc.. Pro users have now a real good
offer, in many languages, places and also company sizes. From the
"unipersonal company" to the "multinational company", every pro user
can find the right company for its need. This is something quite new.
It wasn't like that like 10 years ago, and this started like what.. 5
years? That's nothing compared to the choice of a RDBMS in companies:
usually the choice of "the" RDBMS of a company is done for 20 years.
You just can't imagine how many customers come to us with a
20-years-old usage of Oracle or Informix or... etc... Our art there is
convince them that PostgreSQL is no revolution, what's good for Oracle
is also for PostgreSQL, for example (recycle knowledge :)

4/ not-only-mailing-list. This is an aspect too. What's not on the web
now doesn't exist I fear. Having the wiki up, the git... Thanks to the
PG admin guys, you rock... So many PostgreSQL.<my_country_extension>
websites helps a lot too (since this is directly linked to point 2/
too). There are so much blogs about PostgreSQL now, and of great
quality. We're also present in many other medias like Twitter and so
on. This are ways for the newcomers to come to our community. If you
don't see light thru the windows, you don't enter. So, more light
people ! :)

Sorry for being this long, I just wanted to know if those toughts
would be shared or not by you. So, hoping to read from you :D

> Robert Bernier rbernier@mediosystems.com http://mediosystems.com

- --
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQL.(fr|eu)
www.Dalibo.com

Re: Why new users come to PostgreSQL (IMHO)

From
Chris Travers

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul@postgresqlfr.org> wrote:

> I don't think I've ever seen this much positive feeling about
> postgres.

+1

Exciting times, like being a Linux admin before that got to be mainstream ;-).

> Maybe it's the industry getting tired of Oracle,

They do. I see here a lots of migrations or professionals willing to
do so. And that's not only on the public sector, and most of the time,
for critical matters.

It's most of the time due to Oracle's princing and sales methods.
PostgreSQL is, at first, judged like a "cheap" database.

Once the customers use PostgreSQL, they stay with it for all other
reasons, like:
* not having to ask companies'buyers for more licences
* flexibility
* extensibility
* not-a-blackbox (usefull logs, and nothing like "call metalink if you
wanna know about a023c231f or ORA-600 stuff)
* extensive, comprehensive and usefull documentation
* etc (we all know here that list)

As an Oracle replacement though our approach to change management is entirely different.  We lack the ability to have side-by-side versioning (edition-based redefinition is basically that) of stored procedures but we have transactional DDL which Oracle entirely lacks.

.. and they understand that coming to PostgreSQL is nothing cheap,
just because:
* training costs
* consultancy costs
* migration costs (when needed, most of the time, they let version N
die an re-code version N+1 with PostgreSQL)
* support costs (when the community support is not sufficient in terms
of SLA for example (yes it's not about knowledge but more like insurance))

But they still stay with PostgreSQL because costs tends to lower with
time, when they do feel stronger with PostgreSQL (knowledge++,
external help--), and, first, because all the advantages it has! :-)

Not just the cost.  Oracle and PostgreSQL are both very extensible databases, bot PostgreSQL is arguably more extensible than Oracle is in some important ways.  There are also fewer surprises like transactions and DDL, NULLs etc. within core operations (but more surprises out on the edges!) so in terms of a no-surprises database, a move from Oracle is a shift from ideosyncracies in core functions to ideosyncracies in peripheral functions which is a very positive tradeoff.

> maybe it's NOSQL letting down one too many people.

Thats not what prevails IMHO. Or should I say "not yet". Yes, NOSQL is
on the cutting-edge now and lots of people **talk** about it. Few
implement it really (I didn't say "nobody", I have examples of great
usages of NOSQL where it is a real solution to a specific need).

Yep.

Another big issue is we are seeing a significant rise in PostgreSQL vis a vis MySQL.  I think there are three fundamental reasons for that:

1)  MySQL's whole approach to data  is optimized for moderately engineered solutions which don't change much db-structure-wise and don't really expect multiple apps writing to the same relations.  The problem is that:

 * transactional ddl is a *killer* feature for agile environments, because it means iterations are a lot easier to handle when something goes wrong.  MySQL hasn't implemented it yet and they really need to in order to remain competitive, but if MySQL has this feature and Oracle doesn't?  Then what?

 * People get to a certain size and opening up the db to multiple writers becomes necessary, which means you have to be careful about sql_mode settings on each session.

 * Spacial is becoming big with all the hype regarding local and social networking.

 * People do business with Oracle only grudgingly.

So my bet here is that PostgreSQL arrives really on the right time
(marketting/sales would say the «time to market» is good).

Now our users will have the choice to NOT use another rdbms
(NOSQL=rdbms, really? :) to do some NOSQL, since PostgreSQL can, at
least, let them start some NOSQL-ish applications without installing
anything else.

This is important also.  And moreover it allows merging of data between a nosql-ish world and an RDBMS world.

> Somebody wrote that a lot of new users were discovering postgres,
> looks like there's something to it.

This is the result of many great efforts from different people. It
wasn't easy and took long time to be achieved... Thanks to everybody
on this list for that:

1/ IMHO, all the PUGS, national or multinational PostgreSQL usergroups
do there a really GREAT job. I participated in lots of pgDays and
similar meetings, and talked with lots of newcomers. Those events
bring PostgreSQL under the light, where it has to be. I really hope
we'll continue having some "newbie" or "newcomer" tracks/talks in
those events, since quite a lot of people coming to those events don't
know even what PostgreSQL is capable of !

 +1.  I have heard this from a number of folks new to PostgreSQL.

2/ Also, translators do a real great job. A RDBMS is really something
technicaly difficult to understand. If you add the language barrier to
it, it becomes completely unreachable for lots of users. So, with
translators doing such a great job translating "the" doc and doing so
much great articles, this lowers the difficulty, since the technical
problems are explained in the mother tongue of the newcomer.

Agreed here.

[...]

Also in much of the world a big issue is that there is a perceived (and often actual!) lack of good qualified professionals on PostgreSQL.  In many areas our growth is entirely constrained by this.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: News coverage for 9.2 release

From
Rafael Martinez
Date:

Re: Why new users come to PostgreSQL (IMHO)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris, JPA,

The other BIG reasons why folks come to PostgreSQL are two groups:

The Django team, by putting PostgreSQL as the default database, has let
to a LOT of adoption in the Python world, and

Heroku and the Rails 3.1 team have made PostgreSQL the new default
database for Rails.

MySQL came to prominence partly on the coat-tails of PHP.  We're doing
the same with Django and Rails.

A lot of the rest of our recent adoption falls under the heading of "not
screwing up".  We've kept improving the database continuously.  We've
listened to users about what they want.  We've kept PostgreSQL a
non-profit community.  We've avoided community splits and hostile forks.
 We've been community-minded but business-friendly at the same time.

However, now is no time to relax.  The new databases will continue to
improve, and they're very aggressive about recruiting new users.  We're
"on top" now, but that just gives others an incentive to push us off.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Why new users come to PostgreSQL (IMHO)

From
Nikolas Everett
Date:
I was introduced to PostgreSQL because it was the standard database for the company that I was working at five years ago.  It was their standard database entirely because due to "not screwing up".  I can't site a feature that we considered killer but we love partial indexing.

Nik

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
[...]

Rob Napier
Date:
Josh

I am pleased to see this discussion happening. I would like to suggest that
we work on a position statement along the lines that you have posted as a
position statement for the media. I've been asked to substantiate our belief
in the likely uptake of 9.2. There is a lot of great material here that can
be used.

On 14/09/12 5:32 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Chris, JPA,
>
> The other BIG reasons why folks come to PostgreSQL are two groups:
>
> The Django team, by putting PostgreSQL as the default database, has let
> to a LOT of adoption in the Python world, and
>
> Heroku and the Rails 3.1 team have made PostgreSQL the new default
> database for Rails.
>
> MySQL came to prominence partly on the coat-tails of PHP.  We're doing
> the same with Django and Rails.
>
> A lot of the rest of our recent adoption falls under the heading of "not
> screwing up".  We've kept improving the database continuously.  We've
> listened to users about what they want.  We've kept PostgreSQL a
> non-profit community.  We've avoided community splits and hostile forks.
>  We've been community-minded but business-friendly at the same time.
>
> However, now is no time to relax.  The new databases will continue to
> improve, and they're very aggressive about recruiting new users.  We're
> "on top" now, but that just gives others an incentive to push us off.

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: Why new users come to PostgreSQL (IMHO)

From
Chris Travers
Date:
There are a couple other groups too.  At least around here I have seen a lot of people entering PostgreSQL from the Oracle world, and PostGIS is a huge selling point that we have too.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

However, now is no time to relax.  The new databases will continue to
improve, and they're very aggressive about recruiting new users.  We're
"on top" now, but that just gives others an incentive to push us off.

This is true.  However, the fact is that our pace of development continues to increase.  The fact is that this is increasing our momentum rather than decreasing it on all fronts.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: Why new users come to PostgreSQL (IMHO)

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> The Django team, by putting PostgreSQL as the default database, has let
> to a LOT of adoption in the Python world, and

Which is why I'm so excited to have Jacob Kaplan-Moss come to Postgres
Open and give a keynote about Django's decision to do this!  :)

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com

Date:
On 9/13/12 5:28 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
> There are a couple other groups too.  At least around here I have seen a
> lot of people entering PostgreSQL from the Oracle world, and PostGIS is a
> huge selling point that we have too.

Oh, right, PostGIS!  How could I have forgotten about that.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Why new users come to PostgreSQL (IMHO)

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
Django thing is really going viral.Web developers are shifting over!

Atri

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/12 5:28 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
>> There are a couple other groups too.  At least around here I have seen a
>> lot of people entering PostgreSQL from the Oracle world, and PostGIS is a
>> huge selling point that we have too.
>
> Oh, right, PostGIS!  How could I have forgotten about that.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> http://pgexperts.com