PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
damien clochard
Date:
Hi !

I'm very pleased to announce the release of the first issue of
PostgreSQL Magazine.

This issue #01 is brought to you thanks to the collective work of
dozen of people. Writers, Editors, Reviewers. Kudos to them all !

Here's a quick view of the ToC :

  - PostgreSQL 9.1 : 10 awesome new features
  - NoSQL : The Key Value store everyone ignored
  - Interview : Stefan Kaltenbrunner
  - Opinion : Funding PostgreSQL Features
  - Waiting for 9.2 : Cascading Streaming Replication
  - Tips & Tricks : PostgreSQL in Mac OS X Lion

The magazine is available online and on paper. You can either :

  * Read it Online: http://pgmag.org/01/read
  * Buy the Print Edition: http://pgmag.org/01/buy
  * or Download the PDF: http://pgmag.org/01/download

The magazine is currently available only in "US Letter" format. An "A4"
edition will be released in a few days.

Finally, I would like to thank our benefactors… Fotolia.com has offered
us a free subscription plan to access their stock photo database. We
also received fundings from PostgreSQL Europe (PGEU) and Software in the
Public Interest (SPI). Thanks a lot to them !

--
Damien Clochard
PostgreSQL Magazine Editor in Chief

PS : Soon we'll start preparing the next issue ! If you want to join us

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
damien clochard
Date:
Hello,

PostgreSQL Magazine is now available in print at the lulu.com
marketplace : http://pgmag.org/01/buy

If you wish to print it yourself, you can also download the high-res
version in US letter or A4 format :  http://pgmag.org/01/download

--
Damien

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 9 May 2012 08:54, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> PostgreSQL Magazine is now available in print at the lulu.com
> marketplace : http://pgmag.org/01/buy
>
> If you wish to print it yourself, you can also download the high-res
> version in US letter or A4 format :  http://pgmag.org/01/download

Excellent work Damien!

--
Thom

Date:
Le 09/05/2012 10:01, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 9 May 2012 08:54, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> PostgreSQL Magazine is now available in print at the lulu.com
>> marketplace : http://pgmag.org/01/buy
>>
>> If you wish to print it yourself, you can also download the high-res
>> version in US letter or A4 format :  http://pgmag.org/01/download
>
> Excellent work Damien!

Thanks !  But again it's a collaborative work, I couldn't have done half
of it alone :-)

By the way, just a little hint to people that will attend to PGCon next
week : You should receive a free copy of the magazine thanks to a
generous benefactor. More on this later.

--
Damien Clochard

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Damian,

For the future I'd like to see special section with references to authors of features,
described in the magazine. We are all open-source developers and references is a good
for us. PostgreSQL is not like other commercial databases, we could easily publish names
of developers. I can't say for all developers, but I, for example, would appreciate my name listed as
developer of knn and hstore.

Oleg

On Wed, 9 May 2012, damien clochard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> PostgreSQL Magazine is now available in print at the lulu.com
> marketplace : http://pgmag.org/01/buy
>
> If you wish to print it yourself, you can also download the high-res
> version in US letter or A4 format :  http://pgmag.org/01/download
>
> --
> Damien

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Date:
Le 09/05/2012 10:27, Oleg Bartunov a écrit :
> Damian,
>
> For the future I'd like to see special section with references to
> authors of features,
> described in the magazine. We are all open-source developers and
> references is a good
> for us. PostgreSQL is not like other commercial databases, we could
> easily publish names
> of developers. I can't say for all developers, but I, for example, would
> appreciate my name listed as
> developer of knn and hstore.

Hi Oleg !

I completely agree with you that PostgreSQL developers and contributors
should be highlighted in the magazine. Actually, this is exactly why we
have an interview of a different community member in each issue. We want
to spread light on contributors that most PostgreSQL users may not know.

However each writer has its own freedom and as the editor in chief I can
only encourage references as a "best practice"... I just updated  the
writer guidelines here : http://pgmag.org/wiki/writer_guidelines

Anyway pgmag is a community-driven initiative and you can have a direct
influence on this :

A/ Most of our content comes from the planet.postgresql.org or from the
wiki. That's the case for the articles titled "10 awesome features of
PostgreSQL 9.1" which contains a page about KNN index. The article is
heavily based on the "What's new in PostgreSQL 9.1" wiki page (see
below). For the next release, we will probably use the "what's new in PG
9.2" wiki page as well, so in this case the best way to add references
to the author is to edit the wiki page directly :)

Links :
  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What's_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.1
  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What's_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.2

B/ For other articles that don't come from the wiki, you can simply join
de pgmag team and become a reviewer. You will have approx. 3 weeks to be
proof-read the articles before the layout design starts. We have lots of
reviewers (thanks to them) and that's a key step to garantee the quality
of our content.

Thanks for your message. In the future, I'll try to make sure that your
name appears when an article talks about hstore, FTS, GIST, etc.

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
damien clochard
Date:
hi !

I'm pleased to announce that 200 copies of PostgreSQL Magazine #01 were
printed and shipped to PGCon in Ottawa. Each attendee of the conference
will receive a free copy of the magazine.

This was made possible thanks to the support of EnterpriseDB, who is the
printing sponsor of this "PGCon edition". Thanks a lot to them.

--
damien

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 5/16/12 1:12 AM, damien clochard wrote:
> hi !
>
> I'm pleased to announce that 200 copies of PostgreSQL Magazine #01 were
> printed and shipped to PGCon in Ottawa. Each attendee of the conference
> will receive a free copy of the magazine.

These looked terrific!  Dan Langille auctioned off the last 3 unclaimed
copies for $140, even.

Where did you have them printed?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 10:36 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Dan Langille auctioned off the last 3 unclaimed copies for $140,
> even.

2 copies for $180 ;)

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Damien,

On this page:
http://pgmag.org/01/download

... it still says "US Letter Full Bleed" is "Coming Soon".  I'd love to
get some printed for SELF.  Do you already have this somewhere, or do I
need to do the reformat myself?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Date:
Le 21/05/2012 19:36, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> On 5/16/12 1:12 AM, damien clochard wrote:
>> hi !
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that 200 copies of PostgreSQL Magazine #01 were
>> printed and shipped to PGCon in Ottawa. Each attendee of the conference
>> will receive a free copy of the magazine.
>
> These looked terrific!  Dan Langille auctioned off the last 3 unclaimed
> copies for $140, even.

Great !

> Where did you have them printed?

In Montreal, the printing service is called "Mardigrafe". Their website
is in French (http://www.mardigrafe.com/) but i guess they speak English
fluently.

They printed 200 copies for 1600 $ CAN (shipping included)

Let me know if you want more details.

Date:
Le 22/05/2012 00:10, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Damien,
>
> On this page:
> http://pgmag.org/01/download
>
> ... it still says "US Letter Full Bleed" is "Coming Soon".  I'd love to
> get some printed for SELF.  Do you already have this somewhere, or do I
> need to do the reformat myself?

Sorry again, I just forgot.

Here it is : http://pgmag.org/01/download#print_version

damien

Date:
On 5/22/12 3:18 AM, damien clochard wrote:
> Le 22/05/2012 00:10, Josh Berkus a écrit :
>> Damien,
>>
>> On this page:
>> http://pgmag.org/01/download
>>
>> ... it still says "US Letter Full Bleed" is "Coming Soon".  I'd love to
>> get some printed for SELF.  Do you already have this somewhere, or do I
>> need to do the reformat myself?
>>

> Sorry again, I just forgot.
>
> Here it is : http://pgmag.org/01/download#print_version

Thanks!  I'll give you a count when I know how many we can afford to
print.  It'll be less than 100, though.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On 05/22/2012 01:01 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Thanks! I'll give you a count when I know how many we can afford to
> print.  It'll be less than 100, though.

Seems like we should get a run of them aimed toward Postgres Open too, yes?

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Damien,

We gave away 80 to 90 of Magazine #1 at S.E.L.F.  They were very popular.

More importantly, Lulu.com was at the show, and may be offering to print
them for us as a donation in the future.  I'm waiting to hear on that.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Date:
Le 19/06/2012 01:51, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Damien,
>
> We gave away 80 to 90 of Magazine #1 at S.E.L.F.  They were very popular.

Cool. From my own experience in FOSDEM and PG Day France, the magazine
is very effective advocacy material because people tend to keep it
longer and even bring it at work for their colleagues... Whereas most of
the regular conferences leaflets and flyers are thrown in the trash at
the end of the day.

> More importantly, Lulu.com was at the show, and may be offering to print
> them for us as a donation in the future.  I'm waiting to hear on that.

wow.

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
Chris Travers

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:13 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
Le 19/06/2012 01:51, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Damien,
>
> We gave away 80 to 90 of Magazine #1 at S.E.L.F.  They were very popular.

Cool. From my own experience in FOSDEM and PG Day France, the magazine
is very effective advocacy material because people tend to keep it
longer and even bring it at work for their colleagues... Whereas most of
the regular conferences leaflets and flyers are thrown in the trash at
the end of the day.

I would second this.  At MYGOSSCON, I found PG Magazine was simply our strongest piece of marketing material we had.  In particular the "PostgreSQL at 1 Billion Queries per Day" at a public sector convention was a real hit.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

> More importantly, Lulu.com was at the show, and may be offering to print
> them for us as a donation in the future.  I'm waiting to hear on that.

wow.

Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 is out !

From
nik9000@gmail.com
Date:
I've been pretty lazy on that front. Let me ask around at work again.

Sent from my iPhone