Elephant logo in a book

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

i got a somewhat curious request on de@postgresql.porg:

For a book with the name "Markentiere/Corporate Animals" they want to
use (among others) the PostgreSQL elephant logo. What is the license for
the logo and can it be included in the book?

They also want me to sign a license contract - but I will reject this
request.

The publisher is german, the name is "Die Gestalten". The website is:

http://www.gestalten.com/books

Source of the logo:

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/logo/postgresql

Although I think, the regular logo from the pgfoundry website should be ok.

Opinions?

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Elephant logo in a book

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 3 October 2010 14:30, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
> Source of the logo:
>
> http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/logo/postgresql

That version of the logo has been flipped horizontally.  Doesn't look right.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: Elephant logo in a book

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 3 October 2010 14:30, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
>> Source of the logo:
>>
>> http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/logo/postgresql
>
> That version of the logo has been flipped horizontally.  Doesn't look right.

Yeah, that's not our logo when shown like that.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Elephant logo in a book

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On sön, 2010-10-03 at 15:30 +0200, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> i got a somewhat curious request on de@postgresql.porg:
>
> For a book with the name "Markentiere/Corporate Animals" they want to
> use (among others) the PostgreSQL elephant logo. What is the license
> for the logo and can it be included in the book?

Lay opinion: If it is a work of the press that reports on the use of
logos, the inclusion is allowed regardless.