Feature Matrix

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

(1) can we update the 9.0b2 column to read 9.0?

(2) contrib/intarray is listed as obsolete as of 8.3.  Huh?  How does
that work?  I'm still using it ...

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 9 August 2010 00:42, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> (1) can we update the 9.0b2 column to read 9.0?
>
> (2) contrib/intarray is listed as obsolete as of 8.3.  Huh?  How does
> that work?  I'm still using it ...

The matrix is also beginning to look a bit busy too.  Once support for
7.4 and 8.0 stops, do you think we should also drop those columns?  If
so, we could also drop rows where a feature exists from 8.1 or before
which would trim the list.
--
Thom Brown
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> The matrix is also beginning to look a bit busy too.  Once support for
> 7.4 and 8.0 stops, do you think we should also drop those columns?

Yes, I think so.  At least 7.4.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Thom Brown wrote:
> The matrix is also beginning to look a bit busy too.  Once support for
> 7.4 and 8.0 stops, do you think we should also drop those columns?  If
> so, we could also drop rows where a feature exists from 8.1 or before
> which would trim the list.

I think it would be nice to save the existing content to somewhere
before doing that trimming through.  Having a chart showing the major
feature evolution of the database that goes back as far as possible is
really useful sometimes.  Perhaps forking the current chart into a "7.4
through 9.0" history, and then trimming everything from before 8.1
before adding a 9.1 column?

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
2010/8/11 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
> Thom Brown wrote:
>>
>> The matrix is also beginning to look a bit busy too.  Once support for
>> 7.4 and 8.0 stops, do you think we should also drop those columns?  If
>> so, we could also drop rows where a feature exists from 8.1 or before
>> which would trim the list.
>>

> I think it would be nice to save the existing content to somewhere before
> doing that trimming through.  Having a chart showing the major feature
> evolution of the database that goes back as far as possible is really useful
> sometimes.  Perhaps forking the current chart into a "7.4 through 9.0"
> history, and then trimming everything from before 8.1 before adding a 9.1
> column?

+1

Pavel Stehule

> --
> Greg Smith  2ndQuadrant US  Baltimore, MD
> PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support
> greg@2ndQuadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 11 August 2010 01:29, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Thom Brown wrote:
>>
>> The matrix is also beginning to look a bit busy too.  Once support for
>> 7.4 and 8.0 stops, do you think we should also drop those columns?  If
>> so, we could also drop rows where a feature exists from 8.1 or before
>> which would trim the list.
>>

> I think it would be nice to save the existing content to somewhere before
> doing that trimming through.  Having a chart showing the major feature
> evolution of the database that goes back as far as possible is really useful
> sometimes.  Perhaps forking the current chart into a "7.4 through 9.0"
> history, and then trimming everything from before 8.1 before adding a 9.1
> column?

+1

Sounds good to me. :)

--
Thom Brown
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 08/11/2010 02:29 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
> Thom Brown wrote:
>> The matrix is also beginning to look a bit busy too. Once support for
>> 7.4 and 8.0 stops, do you think we should also drop those columns? If
>> so, we could also drop rows where a feature exists from 8.1 or before
>> which would trim the list.
>
> I think it would be nice to save the existing content to somewhere
> before doing that trimming through. Having a chart showing the major
> feature evolution of the database that goes back as far as possible is
> really useful sometimes. Perhaps forking the current chart into a "7.4
> through 9.0" history, and then trimming everything from before 8.1
> before adding a 9.1 column?

well there are some plans on making the matrix more dynamic with the new
website - but for now I think just hiding the 7.4 and maybe 8.0 columns
will do.

Stefan

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 08/09/2010 01:42 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> (1) can we update the 9.0b2 column to read 9.0?

9.0 is not yet released and the list is only synced up to Beta2 - I was
planning to give the site a full overhaul once we are up to RC1(as said
earlier on -www - because we kept adding new stuff even during the
betas) and the release notes are more or less done (so that the wording
there and in the FM is similiar)

> (2) contrib/intarray is listed as obsolete as of 8.3.  Huh?  How does
> that work?  I'm still using it ...

hmm not sure about that - maybe some c&p error but I don't know how that
happened. Should be fixed with the next site update anyway.

Stefan

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> hmm not sure about that - maybe some c&p error but I don't know how that
> happened. Should be fixed with the next site update anyway.

I think that you mixed it up with array_agg, which is obsolete as of 8.4.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Feature Matrix

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 11 August 2010 18:57, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> hmm not sure about that - maybe some c&p error but I don't know how that
>> happened. Should be fixed with the next site update anyway.
>
> I think that you mixed it up with array_agg, which is obsolete as of 8.4.

Eh?  I thought array_agg was only introduced in 8.4?