Please help edit & expand the guide to 9.0

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Marc Cousins has translated his extensive guide to 9.0 from French to
English.   Please help edit and expand this guide so that it can be read
for 9.0 release:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Illustrated_9_0

Particularly, a lot of the items towards the bottom really need
explanations and examples.

(and Marc, BTW, your English is excellent ... better than many Americans)

--
                                   -- Josh Berkus
                                      PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Please help edit & expand the guide to 9.0

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I made a start on the opening paragraphs.

Here is what I have done so far:

This document showcases many of the latest developments in PostgreSQL 9.0, compared to the last major release – PostgreSQL 8.4. There are more than 200 improvements in this release. While all the important advances are explained and demonstrated, some of the more esoteric changes are not covered, but these are unlikely to be known by most users.

Version 9.0, as suggested by its name, is a major step in PostgreSQL's development. While there are several third party replication solutions available for PostgreSQL that tackle a variety of problems, this new release brings a simple, sturdy and integrated version that will probably be used as a default in most High Availability installations using PostgreSQL.

Changes are arranged in four chapters:

    * The two news features you can't ignore
    * Other new features
    * Potential issues when upgrading existing systems
    * Other improvements

One problem I have is that I think it needs a change to the heading. But I don’t see how I can do that without deleting and re-creating the page.

I think the heading should be changed to:

“What’s new in PostgreSQL 9.0”

Or something like that.

Any suggestions and feedback on my editing thus far would be much appreciated.

On 26/6/10 3:50 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Marc Cousins has translated his extensive guide to 9.0 from French to
> English.   Please help edit and expand this guide so that it can be read
> for 9.0 release:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Illustrated_9_0
>
> Particularly, a lot of the items towards the bottom really need
> explanations and examples.
>
> (and Marc, BTW, your English is excellent ... better than many Americans)

Regards

Rob Napier

homepage:     www.oncetechnologies.com

Date:
On 06/26/2010 08:20 AM, Rob Napier wrote:
>      * The two news features you can't ignore
>      * Other new features

I also think this should be subdivided:

** SQL Features
** Authentication & Permissions
** Administration & Management
** Stored Procedures & Functions
** Advanced Features

The last would include all of the exotic index and contrib stuff.

--
                                   -- Josh Berkus
                                      PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                      http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Please help edit & expand the guide to 9.0

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
Hi

2010/6/26 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> All,
>
> Marc Cousins has translated his extensive guide to 9.0 from French to
> English.   Please help edit and expand this guide so that it can be read for
> 9.0 release:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Illustrated_9_0
>
> Particularly, a lot of the items towards the bottom really need explanations
> and examples.

This is an excellent resource - even though I try and follow HACKERS
and read the release notes, it makes getting a practical overview of
the changes much easier.

I'll try and work through what I can; one suggestion for anyone else editing
would be to add links to the relevant sections of the manual.

> (and Marc, BTW, your English is excellent ... better than many Americans)

s/Americans/native speakers of English/  ;)

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Please help edit & expand the guide to 9.0

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I’m still finding plenty of repetition in this document. I think it can be made a lot punchier with some judicious editing.

I'd like to set up a time to go over the document with someone more tech savvy than I am. Here is an example of the sort of thing I am unable to resolve without some help:

This time, the goal is improving the archiving mechanism to make it as continuous as possible and to not rely on file shipping.

Is file shipping a translation error or a valid technical term? I assume the former.

I'd like to use Skype, ICQ or MSN chat to review. I think it would take about 1–2 hours. Perhaps over the weekend.

Any volunteers?

> I'll try and work through what I can; one suggestion for anyone else editing
> would be to add links to the relevant sections of the manual.

Regards

Rob Napier

homepage:     www.oncetechnologies.com

Re: Please help edit & expand the guide to 9.0

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I am reposting my earlier request as I’ve only received one comment and no offer to help.

I attempted to pressgang Chris Travers onto the job but he agrees that I need help from someone who really understands the details.

I’d like to complete this task. Who has the in-depth knowledge and the time to help me work through this document so it can be ready for the release?

I’m still finding plenty of repetition in this document. I think it can be made a lot punchier with some judicious editing.

I'd like to set up a time to go over the document with someone more tech savvy than I am. Here is an example of the sort of thing I am unable to resolve without some help:

This time, the goal is improving the archiving mechanism to make it as continuous as possible and to not rely on file shipping.

Is file shipping a translation error or a valid technical term? I assume the former.

I'd like to use Skype, ICQ or MSN chat to review. I think it would take about 1–2 hours. Perhaps over the weekend.

Any volunteers?

Now that I look at it, I see that in the documentation, the term used is "file based log shipping."

Regards

Rob Napier

homepage:     www.oncetechnologies.com

Re: Please help edit & expand the guide to 9.0

From
Marc Cousin
Date:
The Wednesday 07 July 2010 02:10:12, Rob Napier wrote :
> I am reposting my earlier request as I¹ve only received one comment and no
> offer to help.
>
> I attempted to pressgang Chris Travers onto the job but he agrees that I
> need help from someone who really understands the details.
>
> I¹d like to complete this task. Who has the in-depth knowledge and the time
> to help me work through this document so it can be ready for the release?
>
> On 1/7/10 11:14 PM, "Marc Cousin" <cousinmarc@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/7/1 Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au>
> >
> >> I¹m still finding plenty of repetition in this document. I think it can
> >> be made a lot punchier with some judicious editing.
> >>
> >> I'd like to set up a time to go over the document with someone more tech
> >> savvy than I am. Here is an example of the sort of thing I am unable to
> >>
> >> resolve without some help:
> >>
> >> Is file shipping a translation error or a valid technical term? I assume
> >> the former.
> >>
> >> I'd like to use Skype, ICQ or MSN chat to review. I think it would take
> >> about 1­2 hours. Perhaps over the weekend.
> >>
> >> Any volunteers?
> >
> > Now that I look at it, I see that in the documentation, the term used is
> > "file based log shipping."

I can help you, of course. At least, I would know what I was trying to express
in the original document :)

I'm on GMT+2, tell me if that's ok. I can do skype, ICQ, MSN, phone call,
whatever.