9.0 illustrated changelog

From
Marc Cousin
Date:
Hi,

Over the last days, I've been working on documenting most of the new features of 9.0 from a user point of view. So I've
builtan 'illustrated' changelog, trying to explain to users what is going to change for them with examples.

The thing is, for now it's in french (sorry about that :) )

Here's the link:
http://blog.postgresql.fr/index.php?post/2010/06/16/Présentation-de-la-version-9.0-de-PostgreSQL2
(you can feed it to google translator, I just tried it, it's almost understandable)

I'm willing to translate it in english, if it's worthwile (1 to 2 days of work).

So, please tell me :)

Re: 9.0 illustrated changelog

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
Marc,

> Over the last days, I've been working on documenting most of the new features of 9.0 from a user point of view. So
I'vebuilt an 'illustrated' changelog, trying to explain to users what is going to change for them with examples.

> The thing is, for now it's in french (sorry about that :) )
>
> Here's the link:
> http://blog.postgresql.fr/index.php?post/2010/06/16/Présentation-de-la-version-9.0-de-PostgreSQL2
> (you can feed it to google translator, I just tried it, it's almost understandable)
>
> I'm willing to translate it in english, if it's worthwile (1 to 2 days of work).
>
> So, please tell me :)

I can't speak for others - but if you do, I'll post it on one of my
sites with proper attribution.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Re: 9.0 illustrated changelog

From
Jussi Mikkola
Date:
Hi,

I like this. Since I have not followed very much of what all the new features are, to me the previous questionnaire was
quiteuseless since it requires too much thinking of what each new feature actually is. But with this, it would make a
lotmore sense.

Unfortunately google got tired and only translated the first half of the text.

Good work. I believe this will be useful for many. (Which I actually think you believe too, since you made it (in
French)the first place. ;-))

Rgs,

Jussi

Aihe: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.0 illustrated changelog

Date:
Le jeudi 17 juin 2010 20:37:34, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> On 6/17/10 10:38 AM, Marc Cousin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Over the last days, I've been working on documenting most of the new
> > features of 9.0 from a user point of view. So I've built an
> > 'illustrated' changelog, trying to explain to users what is going to
> > change for them with examples.
> >
> > The thing is, for now it's in french (sorry about that :) )
> >
> > Here's the link:
> > http://blog.postgresql.fr/index.php?post/2010/06/16/Présentation-de-la-ve
> > rsion-9.0-de-PostgreSQL2 (you can feed it to google translator, I just
> > tried it, it's almost understandable)
> >
> > I'm willing to translate it in english, if it's worthwile (1 to 2 days of
> > work).
> >
> > So, please tell me :)
>
> Wow, this is great!  We need this for the 9.0 release.
>
> If you can do the basic English translation, I will get it edited and
> formatted as a publishable document.

I'll take that for a yes then :)

I'll start translating ASAP.

Date:
The Thursday 17 June 2010 20:37:34, Josh Berkus wrote :
> On 6/17/10 10:38 AM, Marc Cousin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Over the last days, I've been working on documenting most of the new
> > features of 9.0 from a user point of view. So I've built an
> > 'illustrated' changelog, trying to explain to users what is going to
> > change for them with examples.
> >
> > The thing is, for now it's in french (sorry about that :) )
> >
> > Here's the link:
> > http://blog.postgresql.fr/index.php?post/2010/06/16/Présentation-de-la-ve
> > rsion-9.0-de-PostgreSQL2 (you can feed it to google translator, I just
> > tried it, it's almost understandable)
> >
> > I'm willing to translate it in english, if it's worthwile (1 to 2 days of
> > work).
> >
> > So, please tell me :)
>
> Wow, this is great!  We need this for the 9.0 release.
>
> If you can do the basic English translation, I will get it edited and
> formatted as a publishable document.

Here it is:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Illustrated_9_0

I've done my best to translate it correctly. I didn't mention it, but it was
written a bit as an oral presentation (grammatically correct, but with some
jokes, and sometimes addressing the reader directly…), so this may have to be
modified. I kept this for now, not knowing exactly what you wanted to do with
it.

Anyway, if I can help you improving it, tell me .