PostGIS opportunity?

From
Ned Lilly
"MSDN Webcast: MapPoint Add-in for SQL Server"

Might this be an opportunity for the community to talk about PostGIS?

http://www.databasejournal.com/news/article.php/3829416/MSDN-Webcast-MapPoint-Add-in-for-SQL-Server.htm

Re: PostGIS opportunity?

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
> Might this be an opportunity for the community to talk about PostGIS?

Excellent catch, Ned.  If you use the google query "postgis google maps"
you'll find several links describing how to integrate PostGIS data with
Google Maps, much like what Eric Weitzman is doing with SQL-Serve and
MapPoint.

Cheers,
-J

--

-----
http://www.globalherald.net/jb01

Re: PostGIS opportunity?

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Joshua Kramer wrote:

>> Might this be an opportunity for the community to talk about PostGIS?
>
> Excellent catch, Ned.  If you use the google query "postgis google
> maps" you'll find several links describing how to integrate PostGIS
> data with Google Maps, much like what Eric Weitzman is doing with
> SQL-Serve and MapPoint.
Along that same vein, I'll be talking about integrating PostGIS into web
mapping mash-ups using GeoDjango and OpenLayers at OSCON next week...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: PostGIS opportunity?

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Way cool.  With the right person(s) talking about it, this could be a really good example of open source innovating
aheadof the proprietary incumbents.

On 7/13/2009 1:12 PM Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Joshua Kramer wrote:
>>
>>> Might this be an opportunity for the community to talk about PostGIS?
>>
>> Excellent catch, Ned.  If you use the google query "postgis google
>> maps" you'll find several links describing how to integrate PostGIS
>> data with Google Maps, much like what Eric Weitzman is doing with
>> SQL-Serve and MapPoint.
> Along that same vein, I'll be talking about integrating PostGIS into web
> mapping mash-ups using GeoDjango and OpenLayers at OSCON next week...

Re: PostGIS opportunity?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 7/13/09 2:26 PM, Ned Lilly wrote:
> Way cool.  With the right person(s) talking about it, this could be a
> really good example of open source innovating ahead of the proprietary
> incumbents.

Actually, I just heard from a recent client that they adopted PostGIS
over Oracle Spatial because PostGIS had more features and was faster.
Go PostGIS!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.