I can't think of a punch line but...

From
Greg Stark
Date:
I thought somewhere here would find this amusing:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.4/en/blackhole-storage-engine.html

(Actually I can see how it's useful, but...)

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

Re: I can't think of a punch line but...

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.4/en/blackhole-storage-engine.html
> (Actually I can see how it's useful, but...)

Slashdot headline:

"MySQL Develops Storage Engine That Is 100% Reliable*"

*At its intended function.

--

-----
http://www.globalherald.net/jb01

Re: I can't think of a punch line but...

From
Emanuel Calvo Franco
Date:
2009/7/7 Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>:
> I thought somewhere here would find this amusing:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.4/en/blackhole-storage-engine.html
>
> (Actually I can see how it's useful, but...)

It's easy to simulate this with rules in the basic way.
I'm trying to imaging how can it runs with /dev/null device.

But the problem is if we can use at the same way than Mysql. If you
truncate a table after every 'action', those truncates will appear in
the Wal, so it couldn't be replicated the inserted data.

Maybe could be usefull for test configuration in pgsql way.

Any suggestions will welcomed.

--
              Emanuel Calvo Franco
      www.emanuelcalvofranco.com.ar

Re: I can't think of a punch line but...

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Greg Stark<stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> I thought somewhere here would find this amusing:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.4/en/blackhole-storage-engine.html
>
> (Actually I can see how it's useful, but...)

Right - for those who didn't bother to read the documentation, the
ability to ship logs and filter without I/O overhead of replaying the
binary log into storage is useful. The other use case is testing.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work